Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

long tail phase inverter miller capacitance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long tail phase inverter miller capacitance?

how do you calculate?

Miller Capacitance

Must read:Miller Capacitance

Comment

12AX7 Datasheet

Read this datasheet. It lists the specific interelectrode capacitances.
      Attached Files

Comment

thanks.

so the rc lowpass filter effect is calculated the same as a typical triode gain stage would be? i mean, if i had say a 1M resistor in series with the input of the ltpi, would there be a huge high frequency roll off like there would be on a typical stage?

Comment

Miller Capacitance

The rolloff is usually attributed to audio (ie: HiFi) & radio frequencies.
          Should not apply to guitar frequencies.
          (I am not even going to ask why a 1 Meg R on the LTP input)

Comment

Originally posted by yunger View Post
            thanks.

so the rc lowpass filter effect is calculated the same as a typical triode gain stage would be? i mean, if i had say a 1M resistor in series with the input of the ltpi, would there be a huge high frequency roll off like there would be on a typical stage?
            Yes. However, the Miller capacitance of an LTP is only half that of a regular gain stage, so about 50pF.

Comment

jazz,
              i just used 1M as a hypothetical example. although a 1M pre-pi master turned way down would be awful close to that. speaking of which, you can definately hear the rolloff of a 1M pot before a typical preamp stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlinb View Post
                Yes. However, the Miller capacitance of an LTP is only half that of a regular gain stage, so about 50pF.
                cool. i think i get it now. the ltpi has half the gain so......Cin = Cgk + Cgp*(A/2+1)

Comment

Originally posted by yunger View Post
                  cool. i think i get it now. the ltpi has half the gain so......Cin = Cgk + Cgp*(A/2+1)
                  I think what Merlin was saying is the miller capacitance of an LTP is half what it would be in a single triode - not that the LTP has 1/2 the gain.

The LTP is two triodes fed off a single grid with the other grid tied to ground at AC. Therefore the signal entering the stage via the grid has two ways of getting through the stage, and the tube current has two paths between the ground return and the HT. So the overall inter-electrode capacitance as it affects the signal will be lower. That's my (simplistic) take on it anyhow.
                  Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
                  X