Good alternative for a TL072?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markbr View Post
    TL072's can take a maximum +18V to +Vcc (pin8) and -18V (pin4) to -Vcc at the same time. So that's 36V in total. Am i right?
    Yeah, measured rail to rail.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

According to TI's datasheet, supply current is 1.4mA typical, 2.5mA worst-case per amplifier. So multiply by 2 for the TL072 and 4 for the TL074.

Yes, +/-18V, 36V total.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

TL072 Pinout Reference

I think TL072 Pinout details can solve your problem.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Steve A.; 08-15-2017, 05:12 PM. Reason: Remove embedded links

Comment

Originally posted by booj View Post
          I tried an OPA2132 to replace a TL072 in my homade dist. box, only to find they draw twice the current of a TL072. They did sound a bit better, but I opted for longer battery life.
          OPA2132 are what I use for HiFi preamps and Phono Stages - You "pay" for the increased performance wth a little higher current draw as stated. Unless running from a battery that increased current draw is not worth worrying about.
          It has lower input bias currents (J-Fet Input) and higher input impedance, higher common mode rejection, higher slew rate, lower noise than most alternatives.
          OPA2132 High Speed FET-Input Operational Amplifiers | TI.com

Cheers,
          Ian

Comment

That's a great recommendation. I've used the OPA2134A as a retrofit in phono preamps with great results. CMRR is 100 dB vs 94 dB for the OPA2132.

something to consider: newer OPA1642 has CMRR of 126 dB. (!)

That would be a great upgrade for HiFi preamps... the only problem is that OPA1642 doesn't come in PDIP. You have to be willing to use SOIC or VSSOP packaging.

OPA1642 Sound-Plus High-Performance, JFET-Input Audio OpAmps | TI.com

I haven't used the OPA1642 yet but it is tempting.
            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Eleventh: thou shalt not necrobump
              (sorry couldn't resist)

Comment

Originally posted by darkfenriz View Post
                Eleventh: thou shalt not necrobump
                (sorry couldn't resist)
                Especially if thou art probably a spammer (@ post #18).
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                  Especially if thou art probably a spammer (@ post #18).
                  Gingertube's very helpful posts are all over the Aussie Guitar Gearheads forum, and the DIY Electronics forum as well. I'm pretty darn sure he's no spammer.

-Gnobuddy

Comment

I'm pretty sure too.
                    The spam post got removed. What is now post #18 was post #19 before.

edit: spammy post has now been restored (minus spam link)
                    Last edited by g1; 08-17-2017, 11:44 PM.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                      The spam post got removed. What is now post #18 was post #19 before.
                      Ah. That explains the mystery!

-Gnobuddy

Comment

This bit of confusion was my fault. I placed the spammy post into the moderation queue without realizing it had already been referenced by other posts that weren't linked to it as direct replies. The post was made for the sole purpose of promoting the poster's website. It contains a huge graphic of a TLO72 pinout diagram with a statement that it can solve the OP's problem, and a spam payload consisting of a link to the poster's site.

While it was in the moderation queue, one of our moderators edited the post to remove the spammy link, so I put it back in it's original position and linked it's replies directly (this really only matters if you view it in threaded or hybrid mode), in order to restore the proper continuity of the thread.
                        -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Working...
                        X