Peavey 4x6L6 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 4x6L6 question

I've recently acquired a 5150 head (again), and measured the OT's primary. It came out to be about 4235 (average between 4,8,16 ohm). From what I've read and researched here, that seems a bit high for a 6L6 PP quad. I inquired Mercury Magnetics and they said their 5150 OT is just over 3K primary. If I were to order a new OT would it be beneficial to go with a lower primary- which seems to be normal compared to the stock 4K+ OT? If I did go with a lower one, say Mercury's 3K OT what would the effect on the tubes be?

Originally posted by jutsin View Post
    I've recently acquired a 5150 head (again), and measured the OT's primary. It came out to be about 4235 (average between 4,8,16 ohm). From what I've read and researched here, that seems a bit high for a 6L6 PP quad. I inquired Mercury Magnetics and they said their 5150 OT is just over 3K primary. If I were to order a new OT would it be beneficial to go with a lower primary- which seems to be normal compared to the stock 4K+ OT? If I did go with a lower one, say Mercury's 3K OT what would the effect on the tubes be?
    What's the plate voltage in that amp?
    Jon Wilder
    Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
    I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
    Originally posted by JoeM
    I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.

Comment

I didn't measure the plate voltage before I started tearing into it, but from what I've found it looks like it averages about 475

Comment

I didn't measure the plate voltage before I started tearing into it, but from what I've found it looks like it averages about 475
        Mines at 476, so I'd say you are correct.

Comment

At that plate voltage 4200 is a bit high. Running a pair at 450V the data sheet states a 5.6K Zp-p so 1/2 of that for 4 x 6L6 running push-pull would be 2.8K Z-pp, which is very close to the 3K that MM specs theirs at.

This may explain why 5150s are known for taking out screen resistors. I would definitely consider the 3K OT. With your current PT you actually have some room to mismatch down one if you wanted, like run an 8 ohm load on the 16 Ohm tap, which would reflect a 2.1K Zp-p, which is exactly what Mojo's replacement OT for 100 watt Fenders is spec'ed at.
          Jon Wilder
          Wilder Amplification

I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well

Comment

Originally posted by Wilder Amplification View Post
            At that plate voltage 4200 is a bit high. Running a pair at 450V the data sheet states a 5.6K Zp-p so 1/2 of that for 4 x 6L6 running push-pull would be 2.8K Z-pp, which is very close to the 3K that MM specs theirs at.

This may explain why 5150s are known for taking out screen resistors. I would definitely consider the 3K OT. With your current PT you actually have some room to mismatch down one if you wanted, like run an 8 ohm load on the 16 Ohm tap, which would reflect a 2.1K Zp-p, which is exactly what Mojo's replacement OT for 100 watt Fenders is spec'ed at.
            Thanks for the reply! So in a push pull class AB 6L6GC quad, as the plate voltage increases, do we want the primary impedance to raise with it, or lower?

Comment

Thanks for the reply! So in a push pull class AB 6L6GC quad, as the plate voltage increases, do we want the primary impedance to raise with it, or lower?
              In ANY push-pull circuit you'll wanna increase the primary impedance. It's just a question of how much it should be increased to keep the tubes from exceeding the max dissipation curve. However in your case you already have too high of a primary Z for 4 x 6L6s so you've got some room to drop it.
              Jon Wilder
              Wilder Amplification

Comment

Working...
              X