No announcement yet.

B+ filter Y" instead of filter string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B+ filter Y" instead of filter string?

It seems feasible to set up the B+ topology with a Y after the first (OT pri) node, one branch going to the screens, and one to the preamp supply, so the preamp supply doesn't have to go through the screen "step-down" resistor, in order to be able to supply more voltage to the preamp plates.

Is there any reason this is a bad idea?

(this is in a ~ 12watt push-pull amp with 2 12ax7s and 2 6V6s, SS rectifier)

Matchless did this with the Clubman, I think it worked OK for them.

Comment

One benefit of having the B+ go through successive LC or RC filters is that you get extremely low ripple by the time it gets to the sensitive input stages of the amp. If you are using a choke between the plate- and screen-supply nodes, I would be inclined to start my "fork" at the screen-supply node, as you'd have much cleaner DC without much voltage drop.

- Scott

Comment

No Choke, resistors only. And after the screen supply there is only one more node. If I split the preamps off at the plate node I can add capacitance to make the supply to the preamp cleaner. Or make it a 2-node string, but with less total resistance between them than the screen step-down resistance.

???

Comment

Working...
        X