Gerald Weber Sig Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Bob,

No need to beg my pardon, I didn't intend to come down hard...it's just that Gerald has specifically mentioned the importance of shielding the back panel (& ensuring good contact with the metal chassis) in the past, so I am just assuming (which I probably shouldn't do) that he applies to same philosophy to this amp as with any other. It is conceivable that the plexiglass panel IS a permanent fixture, with Gerald's approach to layout & construction issue may not arise...but it just seems unlikely to me.

I have several amps without any shielding on the back panel (or top panel for a tolex style chassis - many folks on this forum will have) and have never encountered any problems in that respect...as with many things, you might get away with it, but that doesn't mean that it's best practice.

In Gerald's approach function takes precidence over form/appearance...if it just happens to look good too, then so much the better.

Over the last 15yrs I have undoubtedly spent over $8K on amps (that doesn't make me unusual in my immediate circle of friends)...& at least $2K was on amps that turned out to be attractive, but expensive "doorstops" that required remedial work & were sold at a loss...I can appreciate that some folks can get to the point where they thin down their collection to own one, new, trouble free amp that they can enjoy playing, looking at...& bragging to their friends about! :-)

Whether Gerald's amp fits that bill for everyone is a different question...but there are plenty of options with amps over $4K, some that are >$3K more than the Kendrick amp.

Obviously, many on this board (inc. me) would be more inclined to build their own idea of what the ultimate amp is (so perhaps an amp in that price bracket is always going to cause some dropped jaws in these circles) , but if you took off all budget restraints & did so, what would you realistically have to sell it for, would you really make a profit (think of the Bugatti Veyron in the car world)? Gerald is also a shrewd business man & offers much more (comparatively) affordable amps. He wouldn't build the GWSA if he didn't know he could sell them. I see plenty of amps that may be less expensive, but market price is far less justified.

Whilst I have found Gerald to be very knowledgable, generous with his time (he doesn't seem to be able to resist any opportunity to talk amps), insightful & occasionally a throw away comment from him has caused me to look at things from a different perspective, inspire me to pursue a totally new angle...there are also other builders who have done the same, as have contributors to this forum...and I would hope others would give them all the freedom to express their ideas & opinions as freely (not specifically aimed at you Bob). I don't agree with all his ideas...but then who do we know that has universal agreement on all fronts?

At the end of the day you can always vote with your hard earned $.

Best regards, Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by MWJB View Post
      ...and I would hope others would give them all the freedom to express their ideas & opinions as freely (not specifically aimed at you Bob). I don't agree with all his ideas...but then who do we know that has universal agreement on all fronts?
      That's the spirit!

As Voltaire once said: "I don't agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it".....not to mention that it would be a boring world indeed if we all agreed on everything...differences make us richer!

Cheers

Bob
      Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Two-Rock Overdrive

10 grand, and it's not even a proper tube amp, it has FETs in it!

I'm sure if I costed my own labour, I probably spent about 10 grand's worth of time building amps, and the same is probably true for many other members here. But I like doing it.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

"I'm sure if I costed my own labour, I probably spent about 10 grand's worth of time building amps. But I like doing it." I'm not even sure I like doing it...I like the conceptualising, the planning, the buying the bits, the tweaking, the end result...but as to the actual "building" - it's too much like work...I don't have high expectations of how long the honeymoon would last if I HAD to do it every day! The reality is I just can't help it though! :-)

Comment

Well, all that planning and designing stuff, I lump into "building", because if you just buy an amp, you don't have to do any of the designing either.

The design time also accounts for much of the labour cost, because people who can do it get paid more.

It's kind of like my day job, in the same way that writing a haiku poem is like compiling a phone book. The tube amp is an old, limited format that isn't relevant to the electronics industry any more, but you can be creative within those limitations and make beautiful things. Good luck trying to sell them, though.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

He might sell more if you showed him how to edge-light the plexiglass panel.

Comment

A full Faraday for only $8k? That will cost more...

What about the clarity of the canarywood? Seem believable? I will give Gerald props for making much more of an effort to explain this amp (unlike his usual mod descriptions!)

If he wanted wood with "punch" surely Pernambuco would be better but it would then approach the cost of an Alessandro...

speaking of which a real Faraday can cost ~$58k, as the solid gold American Coon Hound:
                Alessandro High-End Products: The American Coonhound Amplifier

why do rich dude buy these?
                same reason the Goldman Sacks lick their balls; because they can...

(or is it dogs?)

Comment

Working...
                X