Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convert ultralinear Fender to standard output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert ultralinear Fender to standard output?

If one wanted to change an ultralinear '70s 2x6L6 amp to normal, non-ultralinear operation could it be done using the same (UL) OT?

I think you would have to add a choke?

all that's entailed is capping off the 40% OT taps to allow the amp to be a straight "pentode" I'd use inner melt heatshrink and pinch the end closed when still hot on the 4 ends once cut. This will allow reconnection if you don't dig the big decrease in output. A big beefy DPST switch would let you try it out,

apexjr
    but it would be noisy and dangerous

Oh I think chokes are a complete waste, although Fenders could use more filtering usually

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
      but it would be noisy and dangerous
      It would be noisy and dangerous to use a switch?

Comment

Could be with the amp on. No problemo if you switch when the amp is off.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
          all that's entailed is capping off the 40% OT taps to allow the amp to be a straight "pentode"
          Wouldn't you have to connect the screens to some B+ voltage, rather than just disconnecting them from the tap on the transformer? Might need to go to a DPDT...

Comment

Originally posted by Groover View Post
            Wouldn't you have to connect the screens to some B+ voltage, rather than just disconnecting them from the tap on the transformer? Might need to go to a DPDT...
            Sure, otherwise it wont work at all.

What model Fender is this? I had a Super Reverb UL model years ago. (Bought it new). Needed a loud clean amp and it worked well for that. I dont know how easy it would be to convert to the earlier SF or BF circuit.
            "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
            - Yogi Berra

Comment

This is also regarding a UL Super Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by Groover View Post
                This is also regarding a UL Super Reverb
                Groover,

I see that you're in the L.A. area. Maybe you got my old one! Does the pull gain boost work on yours? Mine didnt when I purchased it, so a tech at the music store I worked at took all that crap out and maybe did some other tweeks - the amp didnt seem so 'brittle' afterwards.
                "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                - Yogi Berra

Comment

No, I'm asking for a friend in the Bay Area.

Comment

Oh I think chokes are a complete waste
                    Well I don't - it tightens up the bass response and improves the dynamics at high power levels and also the top end response is a lot clearer.
                    bajaman

Comment

I'd try leaving the UL hooked up and just disconnecting the nfb before I went to the extreme of converting it to pentode operation.

Comment

'if you don't dig the big decrease in output'
                        with the Fender 75, the power output is the same whether it's configured as UL or regular beam tetrode. No decrease in clean or overdriven power output with the screen to their own supply node.
                        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by hasserl View Post
                          I'd try leaving the UL hooked up and just disconnecting the nfb before I went to the extreme of converting it to pentode operation.
                          +1

Comment

Working...
                          X