No announcement yet.

Critical thinking... Or lack there of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP: “ I have built a “insert commonly built amp here” and I have no sound.. do you guys think the layout/schematic is correct
    Helper: yes, go through the schematic and check every connection, tick it with a marker pen if correct and move on until you find the fault
    OP: Ok thanks, I actually think the OT or filter caps must be stuffed, do you think the mercury trannies are worth it?
    Helper: did you check every connection against the schematic.
    OP: no not yet, want to try some other things first, can somebody look at my voltages and make sure they are correct.
    Helper: did you check every connection against the schematic!
    OP: no , did you look at my voltages
    OP: (10 days later) Found the problem was missing link from A to B

OP (30 days later) My amp is not making any sound again.. I really think the OT is stuffed this time.
    Helper: check your solder joints and make sure they are all good, try different tubes.
    OP: maybe it’s the valves.. do you think NOS are worth it
    Helper: have you checked the solder joints.

You know how this ends

Love it!

Comment

So let me get this straight, you don't know what to do, so you came to this group to ask for advice. But rather than accept the advice, you ask if maybe the bias was off a little?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        So let me get this straight, you don't know what to do, so you came to this group to ask for advice. But rather than accept the advice, you ask if maybe the bias was off a little?
        Don't get me started on bias. Do not.

"these were only biased up to 53.2% but the ...."
        "I wuz ripped off, these tubes were sold as matched and one draw 0.72mA more than the other"
        Or the phone calls and real life ones, "I won't pay to have you bias it, I read what the Mesa Boogie guy wrote about what a ripoff that was." Or, "I want this biased up super hot for that vintage Marshall sound." (that'd be the one with the crossover notch)
        My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

I read what the Mesa Boogie guy wrote about what a ripoff that was."
          And they are right, they do not want YOU to charge for the bias of THEIR client's amp.
          They do it "the other way" by building amps with a fixed bias set, and selecting the tubes that need said value.
          Maybe the client does not notice that the premium price they pay for those tubes covers the "other way bias procedure" price.
          Oh well.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

how do I turn my Line6 into a Diezel/Uberschall/Mesa/Badcat 6 channel?

(in 20 words or less)

I have GOT to add a choke to my $$ amp, but I don't know where to grab!

Comment

..er, well, I actually invented new electronic theory and my circuits work in a way that's completely different from the couple of centuries of work that have already been done.

Nobody but me can understand this, and I understand it but won't explain how it's new and different.

And anyone else who has anything to say about it is either too dim to understand or trying to steal my ground-shaking new theory.

And I use this groundbreaking new theory to build and sell a few home-made widgies instead of revolutionizing the electronics world and becoming wealthy and famous.

And I can not explain this, either how or why it's better, and furiously duck any questions, while making bitter and cryptic replies.

And I work in a nest of geniuses who revere me, but delicate security considerations keep me from writing any of it down.

Well, I write it down, but no one can read it because it's CLASSIFIED.
              Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
                ..er, well,
                Class. Pure class.

Comment

Well, Merlin, at least you can put some "magic" into your stuff, don't you ? []
                  Or you also need to say that your black cat is NOS, "the same one that Leo had? []
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

If you boys can't play nice it's time for bed.

Ok, Usually less than ten posts for this guy:
                    'My (Blackheart/Crate/Blues Deluxe/Line 6) amp has no sound (or, distortion channel isn't working). I tried changing tubes but that didn't help. Anyone know what it could be?'

Correct response 1: (never given)
                    Yeah... IT'S A CHEAP PIECE CRAP... If I tell you how to fix it you have to promise that the next amp you buy will be from a worthy MFG or builder so that we won't some day only have cheap pieces of crap as an option because anyone making a quality product has starved to death.

Correct response 2: (never given)
                    It's a disposable amp. Kinda like a Bic lighter or a Mr. Coffee. Throw it away and get another cheap. You should have spent twice as much in the first place for a more reliable, servicable and better sounding amp that's worth fixing.

Typical responses:
                    Is there any hum or from the speaker and do the volume controls effect it?
                    Can you post voltage readings for the high and low V supplies?
                    Are all the tubes lighting up?
                    Can you post a schematic?
                    etc... Or someone with a shop who's familiar with a particular problem that plagues the amp in question keys up and nails it right off.

Chuck
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      And they are right, they do not want YOU to charge for the bias of THEIR client's amp.
                      They do it "the other way" by building amps with a fixed bias set, and selecting the tubes that need said value.
                      Maybe the client does not notice that the premium price they pay for those tubes covers the "other way bias procedure" price.
                      Oh well.
                      Actually, it's a lot worse than that. He basically accuses anyone who charges for a bias job of ripping off customers. The accusation runs like "all he'll do is set the bias to the 52 volts specified on the Fender schematic and charge you for a half hour of work." Here, read it for yourself, tell me what you come away with. Or, more important, what the average guitar playing guy is going to take away from as far as he's going to read.

My thinking is that he who accuses all, convicts one.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                        If you boys can't play nice it's time for bed.

Ok, Usually less than ten posts for this guy:
                        'My (Blackheart/Crate/Blues Deluxe/Line 6) amp has no sound (or, distortion channel isn't working). I tried changing tubes but that didn't help. Anyone know what it could be?'

Typical responses:
                        Is there any hum or from the speaker and do the volume controls effect it?
                        Can you post voltage readings for the high and low V supplies?
                        Are all the tubes lighting up?
                        Can you post a schematic?
                        etc... Or someone with a shop who's familiar with a particular problem that plagues the amp in question keys up and nails it right off.

Chuck
                        I can assure you that after that last guy replies the thread will still go on for two more pages. Usually from people who did not actually read the original complaint.

Comment

The old rip-off.

I know I have told this story before, but...

This happened back when I still accepted Fender Rhodes pianos for repair. Guy brings in his piano, we write up a ticket. It has basic need I forget. Stuff like a broken tine and a couple pickups needing adjusting, whatever. Then the guy says to my face, "When will you be doing the actual work?" OH later this evening or perhaps tomorrow morning. "I need to know, so I can come watch you do the work. I want to make sure you don't charge me for work you don;t do and rip me off."

Normally I let customer BS roll off my back, but that guy, I invited him to take his instrument with him right now, perhaps it might fit up his ass, and suggested he not ever darken my door again.

Call me a rip-off, will you.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well, I've sometimes had customers accusing me that "I stole their expensive original parts and replaced them with modern, inferior ones" ... which I actually did ... to burnt ones.
                            There's one who's been bugging me (on Internet Forums, not in my face or he'd get his own slightly crushed) posting that I stole his precious vintage Strat innards.
                            His "proof"?: "I replaced his original 5 way pickup selector with a 3 way one"
                            Fact is, his 3 way one (the original) was so rusty that it stayed wherever you left it (no kidding); I made the mistake of applying WD40 and working it back and forth a few times.
                            Of course, I "ruined" his sound.
                            EDIT:
                            Enzo, you client was right !!! I'm sure you would *not* set the bias to -52V !! You would set it to say, -48 or -47 and pocket the missing Volts !!
                            Either that or you would probably steal him some Hertz !!
                            Probably those 440Hz would only be filled up to 430 or 420 Hz.
                            He's justly afraid because *he* can't tell the difference and can easily be ripped off.
                            I bet you didn't think it that way, did you?
                            Last edited by J M Fahey; 08-21-2010, 02:31 PM.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

God, I hope he never sees the Rhodes manual. There is a tuning chart, and each note is worth some "cents." Why I imagine if I tune his instrument 2 cents low on each note, I could easily pocket myself $1.25. And that would buy me... Oh... a very nice capacitor.

Comment

It always irks (erks?) me how people think that it's the knowledge of these circuits that we are charging for. Like we're a buch of arrogant doctors or something. Just by knowing about amps the problem fixes itself on our behalf. There IS actual work involved and I view this as a very blue collar interest. But outsiders often seem to have the attitude that there's nothing to it but the know how and we're charging some outrageous cost for what is probably no harder than heating an iron. Ever take apart an old Ampeg VT22 or V4 to work on it? Sheesh! How about just wiring up the filaments for a Twin Reverb type custom amp? My shoulders always sag a little when it's time to wire filaments.

I built an amp for a friend (so he got the really NICE price). I would've done the labor for free for this guy but my budget wouldn't allow it at the time. All built from scratch right down to punching the eyelets. VERY custom order. 4xEl84 head with a 4x10 Eminence loaded cab and a sattelite reverb amp with it's own Eminence speaker. Custom knotty pine cabs with an antique finish that involves a lye treatment and hand rubbed amber shellack. Three cabs and custom order face plates. I charged him US $2250.00. He thought it was a "fair" price... I'm lucky if I made five bucks an hour on it.

People see these 'hidden camera' shows where appliance repair guys and plummers are pulling shinanagins and they think every one who knows something they don't is out to rip them off.

Chuck
                                Last edited by Chuck H; 08-21-2010, 10:24 PM.
                                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                                X