Choke Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke Question

I'd like to compare a choke input w/ a resistor input. My choke is 5H w/ 100ohms DC resistance. I'd like to listen to my amp w/ the choke vs a 100ohm resistor. Here's my question. If I hardwire the resistor, can I switch the choke in "across" the resistor and it will swamp out the resistor? Or do I need to disconnect one end of the resistor when switching in the choke?

2nd Q: Does DC resistance of a choke change as it current is drawn through it?

Originally posted by lowell View Post
    I'd like to compare a choke input w/ a resistor input. My choke is 5H w/ 100ohms DC resistance. I'd like to listen to my amp w/ the choke vs a 100ohm resistor. Here's my question. If I hardwire the resistor, can I switch the choke in "across" the resistor and it will swamp out the resistor? Or do I need to disconnect one end of the resistor when switching in the choke?
    The reactance (2 Pi f L) of a 5H choke is 3.77k ohms at 120Hz, so the 100 ohm resistor will swamp out the choke.

Originally posted by lowell View Post
    2nd Q: Does DC resistance of a choke change as it current is drawn through it?
    No, except for temperature change (about +4% for +10C).

Comment

Ok good call. 2pi F L.

Comment

FWIW I built this a couple of years ago with a switchable CLC/CRC filter. I ended up needing to adding a 4k7 screen resistor in the choke mode to get it sounding good.
        Attached Files
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
        X