5e3, 6V6 grid wire routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3, 6V6 grid wire routing

Would it cause a problem moving the pwr tubes next to the pre amp tubes and running the pwr tube grid wires straight down to the tubes instead of diagonally across the whole rest of the board. I was planning on using a sheilded twisted pair tight against the chassis and the board is on 1/2" standoffs. The grid wires would end up several inches shorter this way. I'm wondering though about any other complications this might cause?
    Here's a picture http://home.comcast.net/~studioit/chassis2.jpg - the sockets are just laying there -no holes drilled yet.
    Thanks

It is best to keep grid wires as short as possible.Using shielded wire is best,but it is not necessary to twist them.Be sure to ground only one end of the shielding.Ampeg ran the signal wires under the board on the older amps I have worked on so there should be no problem there.The rule of thumb I was taught is to keep the grid wire shorter and the plate wire could be longer,so if you can get your caps feeding the power tube as close to the power tube grids as you can,your plate wire from the PI will be longer and your grid wire to the 6V6 will be shorter.You dont have to get too extreme in this regard,like drastically changing the original design,if you look at the layout for the 5E3 the grid wires are fairly long,crossing the board and it works.If you can shorten the grid wire it will help keep it from picking up stray interference,but the shielded wire will do a good job of that.

Comment

Right, I understand the basic principles but my concern is that if I do what I'm talking about the signal will sort of be doubling back on itself while under the board (take a look at the picture) and I'm concerned about creating oscillations or some kind of phantom circuit.I would like to do it this way though if it won't cause a problem -if only because it just seems neater in general.

Comment

Ian,
        Looking at the picture, my concern is that you are unnecessarily crowding the pre-amp end of the chassis. I think it's better to have a more open layout than doing what you propose just to shorten the grid wires feeding the power tubes.
        Regards,
        Tom
        Last edited by Tom Phillips; 02-18-2007, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Allright then I guess I'll just move the Pwr tubes over more in line with the original design and at least I'll know it will work.

Thanks all for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X