Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selmer Bassmaster Power Transformer same as Treble & Bass trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selmer Bassmaster Power Transformer same as Treble & Bass trans?

I picked up a beat up croc skin Selmer Bassmaster with a blown transformer. Took it into the shop and he said the trans wasn't original and needed to be replaced. I was set on picking up a Mercury Mag T&B trans, either the SELM-P30/50 or the SELM-TB50-P, on Paul Patronete's advice from Mercury, but the tech said he didn't think it would fit correctly and wasn't the same. All research I've done somewhat leads me to believe that the trans was the same in the 1st version Treble and Bass that came just after the Bassmaster was discontinued, but I don't know anyone with an original Bassmaster to confirm this.
    Anyone out there know a bit more about these beasts? Was there a difference in trans from the Bassmaster to the early T&B's?
    Personally, from memory of playing both at different points in the past, I DO remember the Bassmaster I had played sounded a bit better, but this could have been due to the tubes, speakers, guitar, whiskey, etc. It was just a memory of the low end being a bit deeper. I've had other techs SWEAR that Selmer made NO changes between the T&B and the Bassmaster, but I'm not up on schematics enough to compare and assess.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    John

The earlier transformers were @ 360/0/360 while the later Mkii and Mkiii versions were @ 340/0/340. The transformer Mercury winds - the TB50 - is the lower voltage and it doesn't have a 5V filament winding for a tube rectifier so it must be copied from a Mkiii. I'm sure they could add one, though. There were a few small resistor value and cap value changes over the years but I'm pretty positive that the transformers b/t the Bassmaster and the early TB50s were the same. Best to check Mercury's mounting centers and compare to what you have on your amp.

Comment

I emailed John Chambonino from Champ Electronics in the UK, great guy. He said the transformers were the same in the first version T&B and the Bassmaster. He also said he could build me a copy, and I was thinking about it, but the currency exchange and shipping put it a bit out of range.
      So, EFK, are you saying I can order the trans from Mercury but have to specify a custom 5V filament winding? A stock trans won't work?
      Sorry, I'm in over my head on the tech speak.

Comment

Best thing to do would be to ask one of the guys at Mercury about it. The Bassmasters, TB50 and TB50 Mkii were tube rectified so you need a 5V filament winding. I bought a TB50 transformer from Mercury about a year ago and at the time the only one they had did not have this 5V winding, so it must have been copied from a Mkiii (diode rectified). They might be able to take the standard TB50 PT and add a 5V filament winding to it - you'd have to ask them. I don't see why it would be a problem.

Comment

Working...
        X