Onboard tuner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onboard tuner

So I'm still new at this stuff, but I'm adding a mid-sweep to my 5150 that uses a 250K pot. So I'm searching around, not practicing, and found this. An onboard guitar tuner. N-Tune -- Support

As long as I get 9V power to it, you guys think I'm OK with doing this? Or what can I do to make it work as I'm imagining, a tuner on the face of my amp.

Here's the deal. Back in the 60s a few amps like Voxes had a tone generator in them for reference. There is a reason none I can think of do now. Nowadays if you want to tune on the fly you want to be able to easily mute and/or bypass the guitar signal and see the dispaly without messing around. The industry standard is a Boss TU-2. You stay plugged into it all of the time, when you need to tune you look straight down step, on the switch, look at the display, and tune up. If you build it into the amp you have to walk over to your amp, face the amp, flip switches, look sraight at the amp under lights, etc. Of course what you want to build is easily done and if you want to do it don't let me discourage you. But .....I can't understand what practicle advantage you would get from it .

Comment

Oh, yeah. I'd still use my Turbo Tuner. I want it functional, but it's more eye-candy than anything else. The practical advantage is the same as footprint gas-pedals. There's a local dealer here who has them for $30 and let's be honest... We've all wasted more than $30 just on looks WITHOUT knowing it beforehand.

Comment

The new Shure wireless receivers include a pedal with a built-in tuner. Makes me want to build the transmitter into a guitar.
        Lots of tuners don't really get close. I recently found Pitchlab Lite for free for my android phone. It shows the note, has a needle that displays the error in cents +/-, and, best of all, I get a strobe simulation that gives me a really good tune. I think it's good enough for intonation adjustment, and it seems to work well just about anywhere in the room. It's got another mode that has a meter for all the notes, so it can recognize chords for you, and even trace a note over time. Priced right. The only problem is that you can't mute to use it. There are other available Android tuners, free or low price.

Of course, this has nothing to do with your question.

Comment

Tuning is a property of the guitar, not the amp or anything else. It makes sense to put it in the guitar, not a pedal or the amp, or whatever.

Accordingly, the concept of putting the tuner inside the guitar as part of the instrument is patented, I believe. But clipping a tuner onto the guitar isn't. I really like the Snark. Cheap and effective. Maybe not perfect, but then the guitar's intonation is itself a compromise, anyway, as is the even tempered scale.

And it's only rock and roll.
          Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Working...
          X