No announcement yet.

Preamp Voicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love to see a diagram of the variable resistor design as opposed to using the more traditional switched design. I think I have it in my head, but couldn't hurt to see it before I get to soldering. Thanks for that suggestion jrfrond!
    Mandopicker

Comment

Perhaps he will post it for you ; that is if you still are happy with the dull sounding tone of self biased preamps... :|

-g

Comment

Originally posted by mooreamps View Post
        Perhaps he will post it for you ; that is if you still are happy with the dull sounding tone of self biased preamps... :|

-g
        I'll confess I've never diode or otherwise fixed biased a preamp stage, largely because I like being able to swap cathode caps for a low frequency rollof. I know sonic decriptions can be silly but would you mind explaining how it sounds different- ie, brighter, more responsive and immediate, etc. Just curious.

Thanks for posting.

Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by imaradiostar View Post
          I'll confess I've never diode or otherwise fixed biased a preamp stage, largely because I like being able to swap cathode caps for a low frequency rollof. I know sonic decriptions can be silly but would you mind explaining how it sounds different- ie, brighter, more responsive and immediate, etc. Just curious.

Thanks for posting.

Jamie
          http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard1...Gain_Stage.pdf
          page 35

Perhaps a better question for "merlin" ; since now he claims to be such the f*kg "expert" on the matter...

-g

Comment

Gary - the man's name is Merlin. No need to be rude.

Chip

P.S. The AX84 schematics etc. relating to diode biasing of preamp stages was NOT "back-dated".

Comment

Fair enough!

I know I've harassed you plenty in the past (and yes, I agree with you that real rocket scientists aren't just in the previously mentioned places) but truthfully I'm trying to be less of a thorn in your side and I wanted your opinion. You feel strongly about how you build preamps so I thought I'd ask if you can describe the difference in relative terms so we can understand better. You don't need to share any secrets about how they're built- I was just curious what the sonic difference is.

So...here it is. I'm sorry I've been difficult or said mean things in other threads. I don't expect you to invite me over for a beer or anything, I'm just trying to say I haven't been kind in the past. If we disagree in the future I'll try to be more gentlemanly. Merry Christmas.

Jamie

Comment

Working...
              X