Split Stereo 4x12s spread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Stereo 4x12s spread

Please see attached drawing. I downsized, he he, to just two 4x12s. I'm hoping this will be versatile enough. The main caveats are that the best speakers I have are Ωs mismatched (in mono) and the Lorenze AlNiCo 12" may not be that bright and is may blow up.

I have two cabs (converted, angled Crates: new 800 grillcloth + Marshall logo) thus wired.

P.S. Ω meter gives lower readings anyways, IIR 12Ω and 6Ω per pair. This is between secondary's 4, 8, 16.
    Attached Files

Does your amp have stereo outputs or just two outputs in parallel???
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I have a HiWatt DR50 (mono, 2 parallel speaker outs)
      Pic'd is my mobile/goto stereo rig. The lower Carvin TS100 is 50/side kt77. I'd like to phase in the tube head but since my Ampeg days, I'm addicted to reverb and have a Lexicon Alex and the GSP1101 which has everything.
      Attached Files

Comment

OK. So what is your intention? Do you plan to use one 4x12 per channel? Or do you want to use 2x12 from each cab for each channel as in each cabinet is wired in stereo?

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Well some guys have three cabs with the head plugged into the middle one which gets mic'd—then processed and clean-amped to the outsides. eg. Firehouse guitarist Bill Leverty. This can be an option here too but by only using two cabs. Plus all the normal options, so just sharing the idea with others here.
          Any suggestions for a slightly brighter speaker for the full-range outsides' top corner?
          Last edited by Guitarist; 03-08-2011, 10:49 AM.

Comment

This seems to be a continuing consideration of just how to get stereo effects. If you want true stereo but don't want to change the basic tone of the amp the easiest way I know of is to use a speaker driven line level out to a stereo effects processor. Then use the stereo outs on the processor to feeed two channels on the PA. It's important to run the effects "wet" only so that you won't get phase errors with the dry signal from the main amp. If you don't have a PA or you just want a fully independant rig you'd need to get a stereo power amp and a pair of speaker cabs. Since the effects probably wouldn't need to be as loud as the main amp and your not going for extra distortion with the processed signal you could use a relatively inexpensive stereo SS amp to power a pair of 1x12 cabs.

Comment

Working...
            X