CHanging B+ effect sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHanging B+ effect sound?

present, many studio amps added the power selection feature, such as 30w ,15w, 7.5w. It was achieved by changing the B+ , But changing B+ means working statment of tube changed. is it effect sound?maybe it is better than larger amp with attenuator?
    Attached Files

Results vary depending on how far you take the concept. Look up "power scaling" and "vvr" here and elsewhere. I think you'll find plenty of info and options to consider.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Yes, it will affect the amps' performance, to varying degrees as stated. It might affect "feel" more than actual tone. EVH browned-out his Marshalls with a Variac for this reason.

The beauty about amp mods is that it is virtually endless. There is very little in the way of new or different designs floating around out there. Many "new" amps are just modded existing designs. Put enough of them together in one amp and you have near-infinite possibilities.
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Funny how you guys happily provide technical consultation free of charge to a subcontractor manufacturer. I know it's sometimes difficult to resist the urge to show ones expertise. Just don't complain about cheap imports later.....

To kldguitar: I do design consultancy. You are welcome to contact me about my consultancy fees.
        Aleksander Niemand
        Zagray! amp- PG review Aug 2011
        Without the freedom to criticize, there is no true praise. -Pierre Beaumarchais, playwright (1732-1799)

Comment

Alex, what I basically said was that the information is around if you look for it instead of just waiting to have it spoon fed directly into a bank account. I did this as a tactic to head off others from posting any actual specifics thus forcing KLD to do his/her own research.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Good to know that my dear fellows in this forum are not underage kids easily lured by a small piece of candy.
            Do you think Mr KLD would enlighten us on outsourcing deals, production techniques and methods, suppliers and actual OEM price lists, production and shipping costs, ways on how to distribute merchandise in the US (and elsewhere?).
            I very much doubt so.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thank everyone about this discussing

I found many people are interesting in this discussing.
              According to our experience , in fact the power scaling effect sound if you feeling it.
              certainly smaller amp cann't produce more air pressure like bigger amp.(bigger amp can make your floor shocking, But smaller amp cann't, it is difference clearly).the feelings are different ceartinly. Feeling is all to amp .
              So power scaling like attenuator also. It is balance you with your neighbor. If your neighbor liked, you could use 100w amp,
              about OEM andother, welcome, we like make OEM from whoel amp to assembled kits include tolex and grill cloth to each people.we are open man, like cooperation with each people in every way.

Comment

You didn't get it (what was I thinking?).
                about OEM andother, welcome, we like make OEM from whoel amp to assembled kits include tolex and grill cloth to each people.
                I'm not asking you to *sell* us your manufacturing services.
                After all you are not paying us a cent for all the useful and valuable (think $$$$) info you milk here every day.
                Oh well.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Well JM, one thing you have to give KLD is that their not sneaking around here to pilfer info. Their up front about it

Comment

I agree, at least he is upfront. There are loads of people here who are involved in "amp" businesses. So do we not help anybody who may use any information posted on a public forum for commercial reasons…?

He wasn’t asking us to design his amps for him. He knows how its done, He was asking about the merits of each method, seems like a fair question to me.

Ultimately he will have to try it himself though

Comment

If he wants to FET a B+ rail on a 100 watt amp, by all means.. no skin of my nose...

-g

Comment

Since when was "to FET" a verb?

I don't really see anything wrong with KLD doing his market research here. You all don't have to answer him if you don't want to.

KLD, I suggest you should read up on "Loudness" and the Fletcher-Munson loudness contours. You will soon see that to make an amp have subjectively "the same tone" at different volume levels, you need to actually objectively make the tone change a lot. The hi-fi industry went through this in the 70s, but the "loudness" button on hi-fi amps is now out of fashion again.

Also, you are correct, you can't have that feeling of chest pounding, trouser flapping volume from a Marshall stack, quietly.

Bedroom shredders are fond of playing with a heavy, mid scooped and bass boosted tone. I think they are doing with their tone controls what that loudness button did: they have to play quietly, so the excessive bass and treble makes it seem louder and more exciting. Unfortunately many of them don't realise that when they play loud in a band setting, they have to take the mid scoop and bass boost off.

I think the secret of power scaling is not to even try and maintain (subjectively or objectively) the "same tone" at all volumes, but just to provide good, usable tones at all volumes. I don't think that's too much to ask of a 21st century guitar amp. Which is really no secret at all, as you can see. I've said all of these things in previous forum posts.
                        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks steve, you ideas is great." I don't think that's too much to ask of a 21st century guitar amp. Which is really no secret at all, as you can see"
                          I used to lead R&D team in bigger company many years. I think your these words is great. I like to discuss problem with people who have clear mind.About Loundness contoures. It is very important you mention. In fact, we deale with loundness contoures in our attenuator.I think power scaling need think about this problem also.It is only feeling ,but compensation need.

Comment

Steve . I watched Power scaling , VVR and attenuator. although , each one said they did not effect sound. I think it is depend on how many volume you want reduce. It is impossible that feeling of 100w amp same as 1 w amp.if so, no people want buy 100w amp.

Comment

Working...
                            X