Preamp gain pot mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preamp gain pot mod

In a typical Marshall, what does a resistor from the preamp gain wiper to ground do for the sound/tone? Does it dump some of the signal to ground, reducing the voltage to the next stage and thus the gain of that next stage? Thanks.

Go over to Geofex.com and look up the secret life of pots.

What it will do is alter the taper of the pot action.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Go over to Geofex.com and look up the secret life of pots.
      Thanks for the tip.

I see that it can improve the taper of a linear pot, but why would someone use it with an audio pot Make an audio pot even more "audio-er" It looks like it would serve no purpose...

Comment

If you want a gain control to cover from clean to super distorted, then to get good resolution over that range, an 'even more audio-er' pot might be just what's needed.
        Also, in conjunction with a preceding coupling cap, as the gain is increased, more bottom end will be rolled off, which can be useful to avoid the sound 'farting out'. Pete.
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

There are any number of audio tapers, many are expressed as a ercentage at mid point. So I can see if an OEM wanted a different curve but alreay had a ton of these controls, the addition of a resistor costs almost nothing and serves their purpose.

There is no right and wrong in pot tapers, there is only what you want in any given application.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks a lot, guys. Learned something new again

Comment

And I always thought the resistor was there b/c pots are known to go bad and the wiper may lose contact, which will float the input of the stage after the pot. The resistor acts as a safety in case such an event.

Comment

I'm thinking on the same lines. The resistor could serve many functions. If it follows a cap and is right behind the target grid it's most likely a bias resistor and must be there for the circuit to operate correctly. In which case it's a bias resistor and possibly an attenuator. If there is a cap ahead of it (signal on it's way to the next grid) then it could do a few things. It could be a taper adjuster and or gain attenuator and in some cases part of a phase correction circuit.

In your amp it's most likely a gain attenuator/taper adjustment. But since there's almost no such thing as a "typical Marshall", especially with a "preamp gain" control (unless you just mean the "volume" control) it's hard to say for sure.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  In your amp it's most likely a gain attenuator/taper adjustment. But since there's almost no such thing as a "typical Marshall", especially with a "preamp gain" control (unless you just mean the "volume" control) it's hard to say for sure.
                  Sorry, you're right, I haven't mentioned which pot that was. I was talking about the preamp gain pot in a JCM 800 2203/2204.

Comment

Hmmmm, I see no resistor to gnd from the wiper in those circuits...???
                    Schematic:http://web.archive.org/web/200609191...l_50w_2204.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by redelephant View Post
                      Hmmmm, I see no resistor to gnd from the wiper in those circuits...???
                      Schematic:http://web.archive.org/web/200609191...l_50w_2204.pdf
                      This is a part of a mod I read about.

Comment

Working...
                      X