Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok to convert 6.3v C.T. sec. to DC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a good question. If you're using a voltage doubler, the 6.3V winding will be elevated, so you can't ground the CT.

Comment

Sorry to barge in, researching relays here, what kinda input would Moore's design need? 12.6v?

Comment

Originally posted by TransLucid View Post
        That's a good question. If you're using a voltage doubler, the 6.3V winding will be elevated, so you can't ground the CT.
        You most certainly can! You just can't reference any part of the doubler circuit to ground. The doubled voltage would be "floating".
        Last edited by Wilder Amplification; 02-05-2011, 08:40 PM.
        Jon Wilder
        Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
        I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
        Originally posted by JoeM
        I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.

Comment

Here's a circuit I used:

It provides 12V DC for switching circuitry while leaving the 6.3V AC heater supply centre tapped to ground.

You need pretty big capacitors, like 2200uF or more, but they're physically not that large because of the voltage rating. Runs three small 12V relays and a bunch of LEDs nicely.

(I always wondered if the circuit could be turned upside down for a free +12V heater elevation.)
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Steve I assume that running a virtual tap wouldn't work with that?

Comment

Here's one more solution from MB Mark4.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCHeatersMK4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	820048

Comment

Working...
              X