Interesting tremolo - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting tremolo - help!

Call me dense but I can not seem to wrap my head around this trem circuit. I need a circuit like this, using only one half of a triode and operating by (I assume) affecting the bias of one of the signal path preamp tubes. The cathode of the trem tube and the cathode of the second stage preamp tube are tied together, but I can't seem to get my mind around how it is affecting gain of the preamp tube when the trem is not engaged. At first glance the preamp tube looks like a 'typical' gain stage, 100K anode and 1.5K cathode r, bypassed, but the trem cathode is joined to it via a 50 K intensity pot and there is an addt'l 15K resistor to ground below the 1.5K cathode r of the pre tube. ??? I feel as though somehow, all of these values are being paralleled to ground but I can;t figure out how to determine the working cathode values at min. intensity and max intensity. This is about the only trem of this type - operating on cathode of preamp tube, not varying bias of power tubes - which uses a single triode and has both speed *and* intensity (I've found a bunch of others w/ only a speed control, no intensity). At this point I have a working oscillator w/ good speed control (I can hear it thumping) but now I'm trying to figure out how to insert intensity and how to tie it into the preamp. Any thoughts, anyone, anywhere!
    Attached Files

Call me dense.
    I do not understand what the question is.
    The circuit as shown works.
    Did you build your circuit as to the schematic?

Comment

I'm working w/ a different Supro circuit and I want to try to fit-in a trem like this.I guess if I can clarify my question, I'm trying to understand the second gain stage here and how it is being affected by the trem circuit - the cathodes seem tied together in a unique or interesting way and I'm especially wondering what that 15K below the 1.5K on the second stage is doing and how it affects that stage without the trem activated. 100K anode/1.5K bypassed cathode - nice and simple, I understand. 100K anode/16.5K cathode resistance - this seems way out there to my very limited knowledge, which is why I think there is some kind of parallel action going on. 3.9K and 16.5K cathode resistances in parallel is 3.15K -no issue there. But what is the 50K intensity pot doing? How is that 50K affecting the two cathodes, because it doesn't look to be going to ground? And why is it tying into the preamp cathode between the 1.5 and 15 resistors - why not above both, or why not a single 16.5?

Comment

Hi EFK - I have a similar problem at the moment which nobody else seems interested in - so maybe I can get something out of your idea and help you at the same time. Have you got a copy of the present schematic of the amp you have built that you can upload here?

(my reading of the GIM9 schematic is the cathode of the LFO stage is tied to the cathode of the V2B stage and affects the bias of it that way. The 15k looks like it would see the varying voltage from the LFO stage and be enough to drive the stage into cutoff, and the 1k5 is there to maintain minimum bias I guess.)
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
        X