Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a problem with Panasonic Polypropylene caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a problem with Panasonic Polypropylene caps?

Mouser has them in values up to 6.8uf, and they are cheap. They could be good for bypassing, and tonestacks.

Panasonic Film Capacitors

I've been using them for years and never had a problem. I mostly do tube repair. Also the Xicon equilvaients are great. Some like the bright fast sound and other don't....

Comment

What's the problem with this one?

C4EEHNX7100BAUK Kemet DC Link Film Capacitors

Comment

My boards' not big enough! :P

Comment

The biggest one they make in 450V is 4.7uf. If you stacked them up parallel you could filter an amp for $58.00 and never have to recap it again or worry about old Ecaps in the bias supply

ECW-F2W475JA Panasonic Electronic Components Polypropylene Film Capacitors
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            The biggest one they make in 450V is 4.7uf. If you stacked them up parallel you could filter an amp for $58.00 and never have to recap it again or worry about old Ecaps in the bias supply

Ha - I did this once with Angela Metalized Polypropylene foil caps (made by SCR). Made a AC30 clone with with no polarized caps except for cathode bypass. The 22ufs are about 2" in diameter.

Comment

Good on you. I've wanted to try it but I don't get to build much so it seems I'm always building an "order". Since the ESR of the Ecaps is part of the tone I don't experiment on customers amps. In my research though $58 is cheap for a non polar power supply. Those giant film caps rated in the tens of uf's tend to be very expensive.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

How about oil filled poly 40uF/515VDC for $15? Angela Instruments Online Catalog - Capacitors - Angela/ASC
                My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

About the same price once you cap a whole PS. But I like the higher voltage rating. BIG SUCKERS eh?

Comment

I think I used some of those once. I'm need to find the source for these blue ones a local amp tech was stocking. He couldn't remember where he got them (!) but I really liked them, they sounded "right" to me. I usually keep Mallory 150s around and like them fine. One of these days I'm going to go down to Grainger and try the motor caps, the other "eternal filter"...
                    Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

Originally posted by kkillebrew View Post
                      Ha - I did this once with Angela Metalized Polypropylene foil caps (made by SCR). Made a AC30 clone with with no polarized caps except for cathode bypass. The 22ufs are about 2" in diameter.
                      How did it sound with the polypropylence caps? I was thinking of trying this with a Sunn 2000S used for bass.....that chassis has the room for those big Solens anyway....

Greg

Comment

No problems with the Panasonic or Xicon equivalents. I use both.
                        John R. Frondelli
                        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Working...
                        X