No announcement yet.

6v6 vs EL84 vs EL34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve O'Conner wrote; "It isn't clear how much of the sonic signature is a function of the tube, and how much is a function of the supporting circuitry, except I think the answer is "The tube matters somewhat less, and the circuit more, than the Internet would have you believe"."

I couldn't agree more. It's a very difficult situation to asses because there are variables at every turn, a typical 6V6 amp runs 100v more on the plates that a typical EL84 amp. The EL84 PT will need to have a higher heater current capacity, which will have a knock on effect in current draw on the secondaries across the board. If you run 5881/6L6/EL34 at the limit of their plate voltage, that's only going to be moderate plate voltage for 6550/KT88.

Any 6L6 based amp I have built is overengineered in the heater capacity, so that I can run JJ6V6, 6L6/5881/KT66/EL34/6550/KT88/KT90 of the tubes I have tried, a specific brand of a specific model might exhibit unique characteristics, all else being equal (apart from a rebias, of course), but a Bassman fitted with 6550, or EL34 still sounds like a bassman, not perhaps like a bassman with New Jersey Tung Sols, but then neither will that same bassman with Shuguang 6L6GC, or JJ6L6GC, or SED 6L6GC...it sounds like a 50W push pull, fixed bias 4x10" amp, you would have to be VERY familiar with the amp in question, your instrument and the tubes in question to really be able to have half a chance of identifying tube type (within reason). An amp you are not familiar with...? A studio recording where dB/stage volume isn't relevant? Very, very hard to tell tube type...all bets are off as far as I'm concerned (if you just built one model of amp, blueprinted each one, and were familiar with every tube type, you might pick out a few combinations after a few listens and the chance to audition each one).

I'm certainly not saying they all sound the same, nor am I saying that anyone who expresses a specific preference has "golden ears", finding 2 amps of a similar model that sound "the same" is hard enough, but get a dozen similar (same model, but typical manufacturing tolerances) together, with different brands 6L6 type power tubes, fit one with EL34 and the EL34 one probably won't be identified until someone looks in the back. Yes, certain brands have a unique/distinctive character, but you would fine as broad a variation between various 6L6GC types as between some EL34 & some 6L6 types. Caveat - when I say "6L6 types" I am referring to a new, or NOS, tube supplied in a box with "6L6/5881" on the outside, I am not making a distinction between 6L6s "real" or "imagined/based on a ComBlock military octal tube that has a reasonable impedance match & voltage handling" ;-)
    Last edited by MWJB; 03-29-2011, 02:48 PM.

Comment

i like to say that none of them sound alike.

it's much easier to remember that.

wrt g3 vs beam plates, the beam plates are technically "better" in that they lend a sharper knee to the plate curves.

Comment

And to make matters murkier, Neil Young runs 6L6 in his Deluxe...!
        Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

Originally posted by MWJB View Post
          Steve O'Conner wrote; "It isn't clear how much of the sonic signature is a function of the tube, and how much is a function of the supporting circuitry, except I think the answer is "The tube matters somewhat less, and the circuit more, than the Internet would have you believe"."
          Part of that is because most guitar players are not technicians and play series-produced amps with PCB design. It's much easier to swap tubes in those than to swap caps and resistors.

I once built a 5E3 inspired amp with 6K6GT power tubes, a B+ under 300V (because of the 6K6s) and smaller coupling and bypass caps. Plugged the thing into a Greenback loaded cab and guess what it sounded like: a freakin' Marshall

That said, to me an EL84 sounds very different from an EL34 (most of it is due to being lower power and higher gain... people tend to forget the impact this has). I don't care what datasheets says, they are completely different animals.

And I've heard amazing sounding low-power Marshall inspired amp that ran 6V6s. Some people confuse Marshall-sounding with EL34-sounding...

Comment

Almost anything you plug into a Greenback loaded cab will sound like a Marshall.

Differences in power output and gain are the elephant in the room of tube testing. Having said that, my most recent project was a hybrid that gets 30-40W from a SE EL84 with a little help from some transistors. In high power mode it still sounds like an overdriven EL84, just louder. I must get around to trying a 6V6 in it.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hardtailed View Post

And I've heard amazing sounding low-power Marshall inspired amp that ran 6V6s. Some people confuse Marshall-sounding with EL34-sounding...
              True, many of the Marshall sounds I love are 6550 and KT66’s
              You can build a Marshall “sounding” amp with just about any tube as that has allot do with the pre amp and particularly the EQ, that wasn’t the point of this thread though.

Comment

Well, it is kind of relevant. A tube doesn't sound like anything just sitting in a box. And, not all tubes fit all circuits.

Therefore, when we speak of the sound of a tube, we mean the sound of the tube in some amp circuit that is necessarily designed around that tube to some extent. You always have to bear this in mind, and try to weigh up the sonic contribution of the tube itself as opposed to the contribution of the design changes needed to run that tube.

If you take the design changes out of the equation, by getting one amp that can run a variety of tubes, and substitute tubes, the results are pretty much as MWJB said. My two bigger amps will accept any octal tube (apart from those S11E12 I bought on ebay ) and I've tried everything from 6p3s to EL37 at some time or another.
                "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

On my SE amp I can tell the difference between the 6l6/EL34/KT77's that I have tried before.. Maybe I couldn't tell the difference in a double blind test though.. but they definitely do have identifiable features.

My “not relevant” remark was more based on the fact that in most cases where I have seen this said, i.e. that 6v6 sound closer to EL34, it was normally a case of someone recommending to someone else that they should build there low watt Marshall clone with 6v6’s instead of EL84’s because they sound more like a EL34’s. I have seen that said so much that I almost believe it enough to quote it on a forum myself without ever having done a direct comparison. But after looking at it some more I believe that specific comment on its own is a pile of pish.

Comment

EL34s and 84s are in amps that go to 11. 6L6s are in amps that go to 10. Most 6v6s only go to 10. But I have heard of a Miss pignoise redplate blueswreck Special that goes to 11 and it uses 6v6s. That is where the urban legend got started, I believe.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by jfutral View Post
                      EL34s and 84s are in amps that go to 11. 6L6s are in amps that go to 10. Most 6v6s only go to 10. But I have heard of a Miss pignoise redplate blueswreck Special that goes to 11 and it uses 6v6s. That is where the urban legend got started, I believe.

Joe
                      LOL, my Tweed Bassman clone goes to 12 with 6L6s!

Nigel
                      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Yes, classic Fenders have faceplates marked up to 12, so are you saying 11 is still one louder than 12? If this is true it could revolutionize math

Comment

Well, if you take into account that one USD is going for about .62 GBP, that US Fender is actually only going up to 7.44, so it still ins't going to 10, much less 11.

Joe

Comment

"it's one louder, isn't it?"

As much as all the joking around is funny, I think this is a really neat thread. Everyone these days seems to be selling an amp with "the marshall sound" or that "sounds like an old marshall" but isn't that sort of ambigious? I'm of the opinion that about half of the decent guitar tones before 1985 are "an old marshall." Which sound is the right Marshall sound?

But which Marshall? metal face? plexi? jtm45? which output tubes? EL34's? 6L6's? 6550's?

Anyway. I don't even know anymore.

jamie

Comment

Originally posted by imaradiostar View Post
                              As much as all the joking around is funny, I think this is a really neat thread.
                              Yes, but, it's funny because it's true!

Originally posted by imaradiostar View Post
                              But which Marshall? metal face? plexi? jtm45? which output tubes? EL34's? 6L6's? 6550's?
                              And whose Marshall? Eddie's? Eric's? Jimi's? Angus'? And at what voltage? 115v or 122v (or whatever your local voltage runs these days. I once worked at a theatre getting 125v. More light burnouts than any theatre I've worked at)?

We all know (here, anyway) most of an amp's tone is more in the guitar player than in the tubes (and whatever special tweaks they may have had done). And really, isn't that a better measure for whether you like/want/hear a Marshall sound, whoever inspires you to pick up that guitar, plug it in, practice, and play?

That's what I think. YMMV. But the techno dialogue was interesting reading.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X