No announcement yet.

Sovtek Mig100h Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mig amps ran their power tubes at pretty high B+... like 550v-600v.
    This Hammond PT, at 120vac and with a standard FW rectifier using 50uF-100uF worth of high voltage filter caps, will be somewhere around +900vdc! That is unloaded of course.
    However, if you buy a good, 5-8Hy +300-400ma choke, or two 4Hy +300ma chokes in series, you could put the choke (s) right after the cathodes of the FW rectifier, followed by a 15-25 watt 47 ohm power resistor... and have somewhere around +595vdc... which any good set of EL34s should be able to handle with proper bias.
    But, I'd even consider using a high wattage zener diode, or string of diodes, (in series with the anodes of the FW rectifier to ground) to lower it down a little more.
    With those trannys I bet this thing could hit 130-150watts output using four EL34s.
    Last edited by Bruce / Mission Amps; 08-23-2011, 06:17 PM. Reason: Dumb math and typos...
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys, But ive informed buddy that his project had some fatal flaws and he would not be seeing it again, Firstly that monsterous power transformer, Secondly all caps where rated for 400 volts, and thridly the lack of a metal chassis for gounding. So this is now on the chopping block, the brand new tubes are making their way into my other amps, the cuirctuit boards, pots and jacks will be picked off of for my next few projects. All the iron has been listed for sale on ebay, my prices and shipping are high but if anyone from this forum is interested in something let me know and ill give you exact shipping cost, combine shipping and consider offers.

If your curious have a looknfxp | eBay

Comment

Working...
      X