Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help to make simple Pentode amp

Hi.

I came across a build of an amp and have some gutted parts from an old radio which I would like to use for a similar build.
    Here is the one I've seen 50EH5 Single-Ended (SE) DIY Tube Amplifier Project but I dont nessecarily have to build that one.

And the parts I have are as seen attached in the pic below:

Power transformer (Ive written the values in volts measured between each pair of leads)
    Audio transformer
    A Pentode tube, a rectifier tube, pentode rf/if stage and a triode hexode
    + a bunch of components (resistors, caps, diodes, transistors and so on)

I also have a multimeter, signal generator, oscilloscope, adjustable dc power supply and loads of time to spare.

Any advice on what to do from here on would be greatly appreciated, assume I know nothing (which is true). Mostly I dont know how to use the audio transformer and how to mix low and high voltages, also I dont know which side of the big cap that is positive.

Sincerely
    Attached Files

What is your tube compliment? And what do you plan to use the amp for?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The tubes i have are:

Pentode - EL41
      Full wave rectifier - EZ41
      Pentode rf/if stage - 6BA6
      Double diode triode - 6AT6
      Triode hexode - ECH41

They have all been part of the same old radio/gramophoneplayer.

It doesnt really matter what the amp does, anything that is possible really.. I'm doing this mostly to learn.
      It would be useful as a small headphone/line amp or a guitar amp or just to add tube dirt when recording.

Thanx in advance.

Comment

A compressor would be nice aswell =)

Comment

The 6ab6 looks like an odd tube for most basic applications. The 6at6 looks odder (made that word up). Tube compressors are complicated circuits that would need a couple of valves to do. That adds layout complexity and heater requirements. An outboard compressor is the usual choice for this reason.

The EL41 looks like a cool tube. 4.2W in class A. The EZ41 should be fine too. You could do a Champ type build very easily with the trannies you have by using a more common dual triode preamp tube like a 6sl7 or a 9pin 12a?7.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The 6AT6 was used in the Tweed Fender Harvard, just the triode side.
            "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
            - Yogi Berra

Comment

Thanx alot guys, Ill see if i can get a hold of some other tubes

=)

Comment

Working...
              X