No announcement yet.

Cathode Follower with Plate Resistor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short answer: you can do it, that last stage before the PI must use resistor values needed to get proper DC voltages (i.e. the classic 100K/1K5 for 1/2 12AX7), the cathode resistor must not be bypassed with anything, you get the "big" signal on its plate, and an approx. 20 to 30X lower sample of it, at the cathode.
    You can go straight away to a jack, through, say, 1 to 10uF , plus a, say, 100K resistor to ground to avoid popping, or you may go to a line out volume pot, 5K or 10K , preferrably Logarithmic, although a linear one will do (still through a 10uF cap).
    Simplest working solution.
    PS: a footswitch plugged into that line out jack will provide 5 to 6dB boost for your solos.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Guys,
      I a post above I said that I had seen a commercial amp schematic with a line out from the cathode and an amplified drive to the next stage from the anode. In fact this is not quite correct although it could have been done. The amp was an ENGL. Most of their amps have this arrangement (anode load resistor) except that they use a small bypass cap at the anode, rather than take an amplified feed from it, thus turning the stage back to a sort of cathode follower except with the "standard" cathode bias resistor value of around 1K5. The result is that they have a line out (from the cathode) with a source impedance of around 600 Ohms. I tried to get the actual schematic link (Free Information Society has a couple of ENGL schematics) but my work internet filter won't let me into that site anymore.
      Worth a look for some ideas.
      Cheers,
      Ian
      Last edited by Gingertube; 10-31-2011, 06:04 AM. Reason: Spulling eror

Comment

Working...
      X