Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First amp build

Greetings,

I am in the prep stage for my first amp build and am leaning toward a 30 Watt TrainWreck style amp. I'm wondering if anyone has used these transformers and if so what did you think?

TW Style, 30W Output Transformer 40-18064 - Amp Parts Direct
    TW Style, 30W Power Transformer 40-18065 - Amp Parts Direct

Thanks

I used Magnetic Components transformers on my 5E3 deluxe and 5F1 champ, and they sound great to my ears. They are what you can get from Triodeelectronics.com, made in my backyard, Chicago IL.
    My Builds:
    5E3 Deluxe Build
    5F1 Champ Build
    6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

Thanks Witt - Triode is actually the other vendor for Magnetic components, so that is good to know that you are happy with the sound. I like the fact that they are made in the US.

Comment

ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components, Inc.
        I used the Magnetic components Trasformers for my JCM800 2204 Build.
        I think they are great transformers for the price.
        The Amp Parts Direct has cheaper Shipping Fees than the triodestore.
        Be sure and check that before you buy.
        Good Luck,
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Thanks, Big Teee. I appreciate the advise on shipping - that's good to know.

Comment

I have used their transformers on several projects, and have really liked them. I have noticed, though, that I always have to Zener the voltages down though. A minor annoyance. But I have had to do that with hammonds, too.
            In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

You can still get transformers from Pacific for your Trainwreck build. According to what I've read, some of the original wrecks were built using the Pacific transformers. They are a little more difficult to buy. There is a vendor on the TW forum that orders them five at a time, so you have to time your purchase with his inventory. The part#s are 25525 for the OT, and 25475 for the PT. The specs on the OT are 6.6K ohms and 4/8/15 ohms on the secondary. The specs on the PT are 280V / 250V / 0 / 250V / 280V @ 300mA, 3.15V / 0 / 3.15V @ 10A. The phone numbers I have for Pacific are (714)779-0450 and (800)325-0501. On the web @ Pacific Transformers

You can get the Pacific transformers here:

http://www.rjguitars.net/Pacific_Transformers.html
              Last edited by Diablo; 11-12-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Indeed some TW's were built with Pacific iron. Orphan Annie is probably the most notorious. Glen Kuykendall has some great clips on Youtube. Glen also built himself a couple of clones using the Pacific trannies, so he can leave his real Wreck at home, and reports that the amps are "almost" as good as the real deal. His finding was that part of the key to voicing the TW design is in the filter caps. Probably small feedback variances from different ESR for different caps. This from a guy who has a real one to copy and compare to. Happy building.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  . His finding was that part of the key to voicing the TW design is in the filter caps. Probably small feedback variances from different ESR for different caps. This from a guy who has a real one to copy and compare to. Happy building.
                  Great, now I have to worry about magic capacitors.......

Comment

There's no magic. Glen just found that different filter caps changed the tone from harsh to smooth, etc. I'll speculate this has to do with the ESR figure more than any other parameter. You can go to The Amp Garage and look up the thread to find out what worked. It's not hard to find. Or you could just use very low ESR caps and add tiny amounts of series resistance until the amp sounds right.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      There's no magic. Glen just found that different filter caps changed the tone from harsh to smooth, etc. I'll speculate this has to do with the ESR figure more than any other parameter. You can go to The Amp Garage and look up the thread to find out what worked. It's not hard to find. Or you could just use very low ESR caps and add tiny amounts of series resistance until the amp sounds right.
                      It's the same with Marshalls.
                      The later have 50/50 Preamp B+ Filtering, Earlier had the 32/32.
                      And some of the Tube Rectifier Marshalls, like the JTM45 Used 16/16s.
                      It is something you can fine tune to get your sound.
                      Terry
                      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                      Terry

Comment

+1 to that. But the finding was strictly in brand, not values. So it had to be some parameter other than value. I'll suppose ESR can vary from one brand/quality to another between less than one ohm up to, I dunno, maybe seven ohms.?. There are small feedback loops in an amps power supply, both positive and negative, that may become significant to the sound and feel of an amp in high gainers. Anything not completely decoupled IS after all, coupled. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components, Inc.
                          I used the Magnetic components Trasformers for my JCM800 2204 Build.
                          I think they are great transformers for the price.
                          The Amp Parts Direct has cheaper Shipping Fees than the triodestore.
                          Be sure and check that before you buy.
                          Good Luck,
                          Terry

Hi terry.
                          I'm interested in that same build. How did it turn out? Did you run into any problems? How many watts is that head?

Comment

Originally posted by RDK View Post
                            Hi terry.
                            I'm interested in that same build. How did it turn out? Did you run into any problems? How many watts is that head?
                            Mine is the 50 watt 2204.
                            It came out real well, the Transformers were as advertised.
                            Mine is a Scratch build on a Mojo 17 inch undrilled Chassis.
                            My Home brew Faceplate could be better, and I may do it again later.
                            It also has the Lar/Mar PPIMV on the left.
                            I deviated a bit on the Tone Stack, Caps and such.
                            Here's a Picture.
                            TerryClick image for larger version

Name:	P1010069.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	644.1 KB
ID:	823426Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010070.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	693.2 KB
ID:	823427Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010072.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	673.2 KB
ID:	823428
                            Sorry If I HiJacked the Thread.
                            I think most of the O.P.s Questions were answered already.
                            Terry
                            Terry

Comment

Nice photos Terry. Would also like to see gut shots if your willing to post.
                              Cheers,
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X