Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silvertone 1483 and the 5Y3 rectifier - how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvertone 1483 and the 5Y3 rectifier - how?

This is something I've been wondering for a while - how on earth did the Silvertone 1483, a 2X6L6 amp, get away with a 5y3 rectifier?

(Schematic is here: Prowess Amplifiers - Silvertone - Schematics - Silvertone 1483 )

I've had a few of these although at the moment I don;t have one here. One thing of interest is that every one I've personally had still had the original Silvertone branded tubes in it, including the 5Y3. So how were these 5Y3 tubes surviving the current demands of a 2X6L6 amp for 40+ years? The screen drop was not much (shared 1.5K resistor at the screen node), so the screens weren't keeping a lid on things. And, the power transformer was supplying 360 VAC, which right off the bat is 10V over the listed 5Y3GT max supply voltage. Data sheet shows max current draw at 350VAC input, capacitor input, at 62.5 mA, and those two 6L6 were probably darn close to that just sitting at idle.

Anyone have any comments on this, theoretical, practical or otherwise?

One thing of interest is the tiny little OT, no bigger than a Fender Deluxe Reverb OT. Again, not having one here at the moment, I know they are 8 ohm only but I don't remember the primary impedance although *I think* it was something like 5 to 6K. Could that wimpy OT have been playing a role here, somehow?

I'm working on something kind of similar, so I've got 2 x JAN 6L6 WGB and I'm trying a 5Y3GT. I have a shared 3.3K dropper for the screen node, PT is 350 VAC. I popped a 300 ohm cathode resistor on there and it is idling at 57 mA per tube, around 21-22W dissipation at idle each. And this is into an 8K load. I haven't yet checked to see how much the cathode current rises when I hit it with signal.

Obviously it can be made to work, what I'm wondering is how Silvertone made it work without blowing rectifier tubes on a daily basis! Are they that tough?

Comment

That one is K biased so the current requirement is not so much as fixed bias. Still may be running the 5Y3 close to its limits. You could always use a 5AR4 and adjust the K resistor according to the increased plate voltage.
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

IIRC those amps were rated at 23 watts. It's the bass version with a single 15 inch speaker, the amp stows in the back of the speaker cabinet, right?
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Yep, that's the one. As cheap as they were, they actually sound great when fully cranked as they become all squawking mids, very dirty (if that's your thing!). Glorious w/ a P90 guitar.

Comment

Yes, great guitar tone. Interesting EQ. Different from the guitar models that came out at the same time.
            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
            X