What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

My amp only has 4 and 8 ohm outputs. But, my cab is 16 ohm, which is a safe mismatch into the amps 8 ohm output. However, I could rewire the cab for 4 ohms for a correct match into the amps 4 ohm output. Or, I could get crazy and just buy new 8 ohm speakers to run at 8 ohms.

SO, what would you do:

Run the mismatch?
    Rewire the cab?
    Get new speakers to run 8 ohms?

I'd rewire the cab. 8 into 16 isn't necessarily safe.

Comment

you can pull output tube pairs and match the 16ohm impedance that way too
      http://music-electronics-forum.com/t18102/

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
        How do you know he has a 4 power tube amp?

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
          That is getting exotic and extreme.
          I agree with hasserl I would rewire the Cab.
          If it is an old closed cab like I bought, that is a good time to vacuum and clean all the speakers.
          That helps on the vibration and rattles.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Thanks guys. With some searching, I found that I can do both 4 and 16 ohms with 2-cliff jacks. I need the cab to work with another amp at 16 ohms.

This should do it. I'll omit the switch in this diagram.

Speaker Loads and Wiring

Comment

I have re-wired many of my cabs with a 4-16 switch. When the switch is up, it's 16 ohms. Some poeple swear that the all parallel option sounds better.
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I run an 8 ohm tap into a 16 ohm cab all of the time with the amp dimed. Never had a problem never gave it a second thought.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                  I run an 8 ohm tap into a 16 ohm cab all of the time with the amp dimed. Never had a problem never gave it a second thought.
                  OK, then then offer the original poster an unlimited warranty
                  Bruce

Mission Amps
                  Denver, CO. 80022
                  www.missionamps.com
                  303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks fellas. I got it going. I F'ed up a couple times tho. At first, I wired up the jacks outside the cab with wires out of the left and right speaker holes, so I couldn't get the jacks in the cab..

Whatever... I got it together, and measured with an ohmeter. I know ohms isn't impedance, but it's close enough to verify a load, and mine checked out.

As far as the tone I'm getting, the 4 ohm has a more raw upper midrange, and the 16 ohm mismatch being a little on the furry side, with less detail. I'm digging the 4 ohm.

Comment

Working...
                    X