Power Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Consumption

This may be in the wrong section and may be an unanswerable question.
    Does anyone know how much power a preamp consumes in a combo? I am thinking particularly of a Peavey Nashville 1000. I need to build a power supply to run one of these but have no idea what transformer to use. I know the feed voltage is +/-15volts DC, so I suppose I shall need an 18-0-18v but what VA. Anyone have any ideas??
    Cheers.

I'm not finding the schematic online, just the user manual. It uses a 300W at 4 ohm switching power amp. Got a link or schematic you can post? Probably a 20VA transformer would work but just to be sure I need to look at the schematic. One way to go would be to power the preamp up from a bench supply and just measure the current draw.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

NASHVILLE_112.pdf I believe the 112 and the 1000 use the same preamp.

Comment

The preamp draws very little. It has like 5 op amp ICs and a analog switch IC. +/-15vDC at not very much. If you make something typical like 1 amp Vregs, it will be fine. It won;t need nearly a whole amp, but such a supply should run cool.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It looks to me like the preamp draws less than 200mA AC or the 22 ohm "fuses" (R85, R86, R87 and R88) would smoke. Probably less than 100mA DC.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thank you Loudthud for the info, I have a 20VA transformer so I can get on with it. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X