Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conjuction Filter VS Treble Cut

Hello to everybody,
    I read in other threads that a way to get rid of harshness is to use a ConjuctionFilter, for what I understand it should work as a Zobel net.
    The VOX AC30 TrebleCut control also was designed to tame the highs.
    Can somebody tell which one works better from tonal point of view?
    Regards

I tried a conjunctive filter on one amp, and was not impressed. I specifically went with a very small value cap as well, something like .0015, because I really wanted it to affect high frequencies and spikes only, but it seemed to my ear that it "deadened" the amp, kind of like running high value screen resistors. A much flatter sound.

Comment

Fully agree.
      Hate them.
      If a tube amp is harsh or buzzy, there's something wrong, correct it first.
      Conjunction filters, or using real dull speakers, in my point of view, are like sweeping dirt under the carpet.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Very straightforward way to describe it!

Comment

Originally posted by EFK View Post
          Very straightforward way to describe it!
          Yeah, the zobel can be tuned to not be so blanket-over-the-amp-y, but I still hated it when I tried it too. Much prefer the Vox style - it's adjustable, easier to tune, and no need to worry about heat.

Comment

The AC30 cut control works on the PI, before the power tubes. So, it won't filter out the harmonics generated when the power tubes are overdriven. It will dull the clean tone, but the high end will reappear when the power tubes start to overdrive. This could make the amp seem more dynamic.

On the other hand, the conjunctive filter will filter just the same whether the power tubes are running clean or clipping hard. That probably explains why it sounds dull.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

cheaper/easier: put a heavy blanket over the speakers.

Comment

I had a switchable conjuctive filter on my 18W head, just in case I stumble upon some really trebly speakers, but never used it in the end, no filter always sounded better even with trebly speakers

Comment

cheaper/easier: put a heavy blanket over the speakers.
                  hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha That's a really good one!

Comment

Working...
                  X