Spitfire info resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire info resurrection

I'm yet another noob starting off w/ a Spitfire. I have the 2 schems from a number of sources, and 5 layouts: House of Jim, Watts, Ceriatone, Marrossy, and one from M. Fowler. Last night I ran across 2 threads in the Ampage archive back in 2002 and 2003, one mentioning a Spitfire schem by Doc from a real Spitfire, and one answering a request for a turretboard layout for the Spitfire but the embedded link (http://wave.prohosting.com/spitfire.htm by Mod) is no longer valid. So, in the interest of over-researching my first build, does anyone have either of these items, links to them (or other Spitfire build info that might be helpful?)?
    On a number of sites I've followed the discussions on version 1 schem that eliminates the extra 22uF/ 22K shown in the version 2 dated 2-9-94. I've also researched POC's and received suggestions, including one from member Chuck H here- thanks, Chuck. The POC's are the last parts I need to order. Fortunately, my wife is neck deep in creative endeavors, so she's supportive of the amp building craziness.
    Kkregsg
    Can't afford retail, so I might as well build it. How hard can it be?

Doc's schematic is at the top of the link below.

http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20h...s_spitfire.pdf

Comment

Dave, thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if there was one kicking around I hadn't seen. Turns out- no. No idea why this amp has pushed all others aside as a first build, but can't fight my intuition. I'll report back as I finish it.

Comment

FWIW, both schematics shown in the .PDF match and look reasonable.
        Didn't check the layout, that's up to you.
        And, as Nike would say, "just build it".
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks, though the extra 22uF/ 22K shown on page 2 dated 2-9-94 has been the source of much debate as to which is "correct," and the source of many threads over the years. I don't want to resurrect that whole back and forth. Read it too many times already! That's why I was looking for what I thought might be a schem I hadn't seen. I have 4 or 5 layouts that agree as to pretty much all parts, just different physical placement. As soon as Trans arrive, time to begin my build. I've already chosen a layout and made my turretboard, but I would have loved to find that old one just to check against.Thanks for the help.

Comment

Well, the extra 22K/22uF shown on page 2, feeding the screens, is wrong, period.
            Schematic 1 is correct.
            Although to nitpick a little, it's lacking the 6.3V winding centerpoint, usually made with 2 100 ohms resistors.
            I can't believe the error mentioned above could ever be source of "many threads".
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Wow. Here's just one of "more than a few," if you'd like to check it out. Several other forums have essentially the same discussion. You say above " FWIW, both schematics shown in the .PDF match..." and then later state that #2 is clearly incorrect. No disrespect, but they don't match. That's the source of questions that pop up every few years, pretty much since 2001 on, including the archives of this site.

The Amp Garage :: View topic - Spitfire & Lightning schematics - screen supply

Comment

Working...
              X