Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

planning a safe in home low voltage hybrid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planning a safe in home low voltage hybrid.

planning my first hybrid amp, Though I'm no Pioneer to the world of building custom amps I found some low voltage amp kits by vellman, I built one it was great 7 watt sounded decent until i took it apart. I have schematics for a valve preamp guitar pedal to act as a tube overdrive. You guys see where Im going with this? Its just an idea in my head right now but I have the amp, chassis and all I need to do is get the components for the preamp. and 3 band eq. Am I trying to reinvent the wheel? no I just like to tinker with things. So the chain in theory will go [input] [12ax7 based preamp] [3 band eq] [amplification] [output]. Seems Crazy.

The thing you have to look out for is overdriving any IC's input. You can clip the output all you want but don't allow the input to go beyond it's common mode range. Example: a TL072 opamp has an input common mode range (Vicr) of -12V to +15V when using +/-15V supplys. If one input swings below -12V, the output usually swings to the wrong rail which sounds horrible. I suggest you diode clip the signal between the tube and the IC.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Yes, I will have to get the schematics and send them post them, The opamp is surrounded by diodes to prevent backflow and destroying it.

Comment

Working...
      X