How to wire illuminated rocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to wire illuminated rocker

I just cant put my head on wiring a illuminated rocker. It is a SPST 120v illuminated rocker. In my mind I just cant focus on how to wire in the lamp. Please give me a cheat sheet. Is it black pwr wire and black pri lead, on pin 3 of rocker(lamp pin) then white pwr lead goes to fuse then to one of the switch pins. The other switch pin gets the other black pri lead. Does that sound right?

What are you trying to wire up (an amplifier)?
    Do you have the datasheet for the switch?
    What is the lamp type? LED, Neon, Incandescent?
    (post the switch datasheet)
    My first thought is that proper wiring technique would indicate the black (L1) mains goes to the fuse first.
    Then to the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      What are you trying to wire up (an amplifier)?
      Do you have the datasheet for the switch?
      What is the lamp type? LED, Neon, Incandescent?
      (post the switch datasheet)
      My first thought is that proper wiring technique would indicate the black (L1) mains goes to the fuse first.
      Then to the switch.
      Yes this is a new amplifier I built. I used these rockers on another build with success but I cant find my notes and I cant seem to focus in.

Here is the link for the datasheet (not alot of info on DS but the rocker is labeled 1,2,3. 1 and 2 are the switches):
      LTA201-TA-B/125N Carling Technologies | Mouser

I now know I should run the black/hot to the fuse but I really was thinking its AC and it will be alright since its already wired in. I fired up the amp without the neon lamp wired up and everything is right on. All voltages are good and my vactrols are switching properly.

Maybe I am having a stroke. I just cant picture the proper wiring for the lamp on the rocker.

Comment

So you are switching L1 (black).
        The neon lamp is the last connection you need.
        It gets L1 from the switch, so it needs a ground reference.
        The final connection.
        If the neon lamp is always on, reverse the two black wires.

Comment

The data sheet is great. It doesn’t say which pin is which. If 1 and 2 are the switch contacts 3 will be the neon. I would guess it is Live to pin 1 (via the fuse), transformer primary to pin 2, Neutral to pin 3 and Neutral to other side of primary. If the neon comes on when the amplifier is on it’s correct. If the neon is on but the amp is off swap pins 1 and 2 (the switch contacts).

You don’t want to end up wiring Live and Neutral to the switch contacts so check with a meter that 1 and 2 really are the contacts and that the neon pin 3 is open circuit to both 1 and 2 in both switch positions.

Comment

Two minutes too late

Comment

Thanks guys. What you said is what I was going to do but for some reason I couldnt draw it out on paper. I will print it out so I have it for the next time I use a illuminated rocker.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
                Two minutes too late
                Ahh, but you explained it more concisely.
                Thanks.

Comment

Thank you both. I dont know if you have ever had a lapse in brain power but i just couldnt see it in my mind. The amp is up and running and sounding awesome. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                  X