No announcement yet.

Bridge Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I strongly advise using Ultrafast Recovery Rectifiers. That means making your bridge up from 4 individual diodes.
    Something like STTH310 (Mouser Stock No: %11-STTH310) which is a 3Amp 1000V alternative to a 1N5408.

In a HiFi Amp the change to soft recovery diodes stands out the like the proverbial canine testicles.

It is also quite noticable in a Guitar Amp.

The 1N5408 has the worst switching noise I've ever seen (on the oscilloscope) - avoid it like the plague.

Cheers,
    Ian

Comment

+1 I think the fast recovery rectifiers are worth a little extra effort.

The UF5408 has the same Trr spec as the STTH310, but costs about half as much. The UF series (UF4007 etc.) are cheap alternatives to the standard, slow 'old standby' units for not a lot more money.

--m

Comment

I'm sorry but what I see here is making an issue on a non-issue. Just get those 1N/UF4007 or 1N/UF5408 and make a bridge rectifier. No need of turrets, gluing or any further complications. They will handle the voltages in a regular tube amp without any problems and are in use in guitar amps from decades.
        I've always used ONLY single HV secondary (without CT) PTs in my amps ONLY with bridge rectifiers and I have yet to see a single 4007 or 5408 fail.

Comment

Working...
        X