No announcement yet.

MV, Powerscaling in 50W, 100W Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would join Nick with some of the questions he asked.
    Although it's not uncommon for the big companies to screw up and come up with questionable designs I assume that they should notice such obvious things as Kevin mentioned. I would also assume that those amps underwent intensive listening tests before being released moreover maybe the musicians they are named after gave their OK before that. Those are only assumptions but at least are reasonable ones.
    So if we're talking about those AFD/YJM setups and take Kevin's advice we should drive the gate from lower impedance source (a CF would be the most simple solution) and change the type of MOSFET used. Well that's doable and is a good material for experiments. I hope I can record some samples as well.
    Using uCU is by no means anything bad. The only downside is it's not service friendly because if it dies yo can't order it online or something but take a look at your car for example. The engine is a 100 year old technology controlled by all kinds of sensors and computers so I think uCUs can be very useful in a tube amp and should be used when necessary.
    Concerning the AFD/YJM digital controlling part it's not that simple like just few extra parts thrown around the uCU. Actually patents for digital bias control are around from a long time so it's nothing new either. Even Bugera now has something similar in their amps and I think we'll be seeing more of this in the future.
    Last edited by GainFreak; 11-22-2016, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Hey GF - I really don't know why the earlier results showed strange Ia behavior at low Vs. I grabbed a 6L6G and a 5881 and measured them at low screen voltages and it all seems perfectly tame. Here is a pdf with the results of the 5881. You can see there are no sudden jumps in GM which is what you might expect if it were unusually sensitive. I thought I had better check as I had said above that such sensitivity couldn't happen. I'd look like a complete twat if I then found it did.

6L6GC.pdf
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I haven't explored the GM. What I meant was when moving the bias up and down from the calculated one as a result you get more crossover distortion. The video I attached in my previous post shows that very well. You may hear or not when when bias has shifted and maybe at low volumes it wouldn't make such a big difference.

Comment

Working...
        X