No announcement yet.

Ok gurus, answer me this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't you build a Marshall 18W clone and use it to drive a single Greenback or something?
    You should get the cranked amp into a "can't take much more" speaker at reasonable levels.

No, still way too much for a bedroom, but probably fine for a garage or small club.
    One trick is to avoid a tiny combo size box but making a quite larger closed one, to have proper lows .... just not too loud.

What you will *always* miss in preamps, no matter how complex, is the overdriven power pentode driving a transformer driving a real speaker, while this is a way to achieve it.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Well, the discussion just kinda turned to this and it's just a discussion. It wasn't the objective of the thread and I'm actually more than happy with my amp as is. The pickup issue is also not a huge thing. I love the guitar as is and just wanted to see if i could find a simple solution, but i suppose not. I'll keep thinking on it tho. Usually an idea eventually comes. Thats how i came to think that cable had something to do with it and sure enough it did. The tone now sounds much more "right" even if the turned down tone isn't as bright as i want. More so on the neck tho so i'm contemplating a coupling cap inline with the pickup to the switch to get rid of the mud. That neck's low strings are just hideously muddy with any kind if gain.

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      Why don't you build a Marshall 18W clone and use it to drive a single Greenback or something?
      You should get the cranked amp into a "can't take much more" speaker at reasonable levels.

No, still way too much for a bedroom, but probably fine for a garage or small club.
      One trick is to avoid a tiny combo size box but making a quite larger closed one, to have proper lows .... just not too loud.

What you will *always* miss in preamps, no matter how complex, is the overdriven power pentode driving a transformer driving a real speaker, while this is a way to achieve it.

Comment

I know that this isn't all that useful to you daz, but I posted one version of the preamp I was designing. It's first up in the index in "New at Geofex".
        New Page 1
        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
          I know that this isn't all that useful to you daz, but I posted one version of the preamp I was designing. It's first up in the index in "New at Geofex".
          New Page 1
          i'll have a look, thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X