Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preamp tubes - Any coke bottle sized ones ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a coke-bottle preamp tube, the 6J5G:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6sn7evolution.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	831121

Comment

Here is one on E Bay: 6J5G Arcturus Electron Vacuum Tubes Valve Radio Amplifier Tested St Shape 6J5GT | eBay

Comment

And AES has 6J5G for $12.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

For old tubes and sockets without paying the high hi-fi vintage prices, check your area for any amateur radio clubs or swap meets. Lots of this vintage gear, tubes,parts etc are sold or traded for very low prices. Most of the older hams have lots of this stuff from when it was new. If you show an interest in getting into electronics or radio they will likely give you gear. None hi-fi tubes will be $1 or less.
          The swap meets are great places for finding old test gear also. The worst place for deals and quality is eBay

Comment

6J7 are the go, either as a pentode or triode strapped.

Here is a single ended 6V6 amp with 2 off 6J7 and an 80 rectifier. It was a restoration job I did for someone. It was their grandpas harmonica amplifier. It was stunning with my Telecaster plugged in.

Cheers,
            Ian

I don't know why the schematic is not showing, I attached it in "normal" fashion.

Schematic and some pictures for this amp are also here:
            http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instr...amplifier.html

Cheers,
            Ian
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Gingertube; 09-30-2013, 06:20 AM. Reason: Attachement did'nt show

Comment

Originally posted by wyatt View Post
              THen, of course, you can go for a grid capped power tube like the 807, the grid-cap pre-cursor to the 6L6G (not an octal base).
              You can get the 807 with an octal base.

Comment

6J5s (also known as L63s) are quite handsome. Only one triode though...

Comment

And here it is, repainted with a hammered finish and working beautifully. I gave up on the big preamp tube because it just didn't look right.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2067.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	832587

Comment

Hey, pretty cool.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks, Enzo. My wife still won't let me put it in the living room.

Comment

If you're after the looks factor then there are Nixie, Electron-Ray and of course faux tubes. If its for functionality as well there are always somewhat usual tubes that come in weirder shapes, like "doorknob" styled double beam power 832 or the mammoth T1610 triode.

Comment

Working...
                        X