Eminence Omega Pro vs Sigma Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminence Omega Pro vs Sigma Pro?

Is there any reason why the frequency response of the Omega Pro-18 is specified to be only 40Hz-800Hz instead of 41Hz-2.4kHz like the SIGMA PRO-18? The response curves of the two speakers appear similar. The biggest difference between the two speakers might be the voice coils. The Omega Pro-18 has a 4" diameter voice coil and an 800 watt rating while the SIGMA PRO-18 has a 3" diameter coil and a 650 watt rating.

Eminence Speakers - Eminence Sigma Pro 18A speaker. The Eminence Sigma Pro 18A is a 18" 8 ohm speaker. Speaker is rated at 650 watts RMS.
    Eminence Speakers - Eminence Omega Pro 18A & 18C speaker. The Eminence Omega Pro 18A & Omega Pro-18C are 18" speakers. Available in 4 or 8 ohms. The Omega Pro-18A is a 800 watts RMS woofer.
    -Bryan

That's a pretty obscure and not like likely to be shared inquiry for a group of amp nerds. I think you're asking the wrong people!?! Have you tried to contact Eminence?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I'm thinking the answer might be pretty simple. Looking at the response curves closely, both drivers have variance in SPL at about 1khz. The Sigma has about 4db variance, and the Omega has about 8db variance. Since 3db is the smallest variance the human ear can detect, the variance in the Sigma is probably barely detectable, so the Sigma is considered fairly flat in this area. The variance in the Omega is probably pretty noticeable, and from the factory's standpoint, the driver is not usable in this area.

I didn't contact Eminence.
      -Bryan

Comment

Higher wattage capability + bigger voice coil = less high frequency response.

No?

Add to that the fact that the cone material is probably thicker.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of information that is lacking in speaker manufacturers datsheets.
        Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 12-08-2013, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X