AC switching regulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC switching regulation

Just for academic discussion, here's my results showing current limiting and voltage scaling of 6.3VAC. My inrush simulation wasn't really supposed to be super accurate, I mostly wanted to show it working. The yellow trace is the unlimited heater current. The red trace is the unregulated 6.3VAC winding voltage, and the blue trace is the regulated output. Y scale is Amps or Volts, depending on the trace.

The regulator is essentially a hysteresis controlled buck converter, minus the catch diode. It uses a 100khz clock and SR flip-flop for time delay to keep the loop from collapsing. (Not a D - I think my D model isn't working correctly). The current limit is set to 5.65A, and the reference voltage is taken from the incoming AC, scaled by 0.9. If the output cap gets too big, it lags a bit at the zero crossings and looks funky. While there are inexpensive low pin count (and hence parts count) controllers, the bulk of the circuitry is in rectifying the control signals, which no off the shelf controller is likely to do.
    The prince and the count always insist on tubes being healthy before they're broken

Oh yeah, X1 is a voltage controlled switch. IRL it'd be a pair of back to back mosfets, but the switch makes simulation easier. Sorry for the unconventional symbol.
    The prince and the count always insist on tubes being healthy before they're broken

Comment

Working...
    X