Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tone pot 500pf silver mica capacitor connection to vol pot on 18 watt lite vs 5e3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone pot 500pf silver mica capacitor connection to vol pot on 18 watt lite vs 5e3

Does anyone know why the 500 pf silver mica coming from tone pot on 18 watt lite connects to far right of vol pot ( connection on vol pot that goes to capacitor on circuit board of amp) but on 5e3 same 500pf connects from tone pot connects to middle connection of the volume pot ?

The 5E3 uses an old Fender volume control arrangement where the signal goes into the wiper of the pot and comes out of the top terminal. A more standard way of using the pot is as a voltage divider, where the signal comes into the top of the pot and the signal leaves out of the wiper. This is how the 6G3 Deluxe is set up. I used a four pole switch to change from the 5E3 circuit to the 6G3 circuit in the amp I am building now.

The switches are in 6G3 position and when switched they are in 5E3 mode. The 18 Watt uses the pots in a voltage divider arrangement.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation! That was great . I finished building a smokin joe II amp and I am changing the cascode preamp to a parallel one and I am debating whether I will leave the vol pots as they are (old fender style) or change to the 18 watt style. At least I now know that both ways are correct and it's more a matter of taste!

Comment

I originally wanted to put a 5E3-6G3 switch on the amp, may have left it that way but I also threw in a BT tone stack. I decided to keep it simple and kept the 6G3 and BT tone stack. While the 5E3 was interesting I decided to go for the more consistent response of the voltage divider arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by printer2 View Post
          I originally wanted to put a 5E3-6G3 switch on the amp, may have left it that way but I also threw in a BT tone stack. I decided to keep it simple and kept the 6G3 and BT tone stack. While the 5E3 was interesting I decided to go for the more consistent response of the voltage divider arrangement.
          Yes i think I would like to add a BT tone stack to my smokin joe II as well. I switched it to a parallel preamp and I like it better a certain volume levels. I will install a switch to switch between the cascode preamp and the parallel one. I think I will also try to find a way to switch between running a simple tone knob to a treble bass stack that way both options are available!
          Last edited by Guy77; 03-03-2014, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy77 View Post
            Yes i think I would like to add a BT tone stack to my smokin joe II as well. I switched it to a parallel preamp and I like it better this way. I think I will try to find a way to switch between running a simple tone knob to a treble bass stack that way both options are available!
            Well you are talking to the right person. I did the Tweed/BT tone stack on my last amp. You need a three pole switch, I used a four pole as I switched the cathode bypass cap also.

The treble control turns into the tone knob. You could do it with separate controls and just switch between them, I wanted one less knob. In my latest amp I am using separate controls and running the triodes in parallel for the Tweed control and in series when using the BT stack.

Comment

Very nice! Great work. Looks like I will be busy for the next while! I switched the vol tone connection back between the old 5e3 style and the newer 18 watt style and I now know why wanted to switch between the 2 styles there is a lot of tonal differences between the too!! I can't decide witch I like better !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Guy77 View Post
                Very nice! Great work. Looks like I will be busy for the next while! I switched the vol tone connection back between the old 5e3 style and the newer 18 watt style and I now know why wanted to switch between the 2 styles there is a lot of tonal differences between the too!! I can't decide witch I like better !!!
                I spent a few days switching between the two deciding which I liked better. I also had a switch that selected from one channel or the other or both, so I could do a quick change and still remember what the other sound sounded like. I will probably make an amp later with just the 5E3 with the volume/tone switch.

Comment

Working...
                X