Jet City BUZZ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet City BUZZ...

I got the amp at a blowout price, so I'm good with that. I dig the tone for the price, but this amp has a rippin' BUZZ to it! Turning up the master, even without a cable plugged in yields the buzzzzz... I'm sure it was a corner cut to meet a price point.

Anyone have a remedy?

It would help to have an exact model name or number and a link to a schematic if you can find one.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I'd start with a preamp tube substitution and take notes on the tube pull/noise results so I'd have a place to start if it isn't a bad tube.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

There are some schematics posted here:
        http://music-electronics-forum.com/t34709/

Comment

THanks guys. It's a JCA5012C. I suppose it's the same as a JCA50.
          Attached Files

Comment

I doubt it's buzzing because the manufacturer cut corners. It's broken more likely. The problem description of "rippin' BUZZ" doesn't get us to a solution. Have you tried pulling tubes? Starting with the first preamp tube, buzz still there pull the second, etc. If you find a tube that stops the buzz when pulled try replacing it with a known quiet tube (that doesn't mean a new tube that hasn't been heard). If the buzz remains we move to the next step of troubleshooting what may cause the buzz in the circuit you isolated when pulling tubes. OR...

Take it to a repair shop.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I pulled the Chinese wb's and replaced them with Chinese WA's but they might be rejects for all I know. I haven't swamped the power tubes but it plays at full power. Its just buzzy like having single coils near a flouresent light.

Comment

That's still no information. I mentioned before:

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                Have you tried pulling tubes? Starting with the first preamp tube, buzz still there pull the second, etc.
                This was to be done as part of tube substitution and would have given us a place to start.

Comment

I should have clarified that I put the tubes in way before this thread. Even so, I swapped in a set of JJ's and the buzz is the same.

It's pretty much AC ripple. According to the schematic, there's plenty of filtering. But, are all 1N4007 diodes created equal?

Comment

Watch that posted schematic, sheet 1 has had the BF applied to it to confuse people. pin 1 anode belongs on the other triode section, ditto pin 6 anode. The anodes have NOT been numbered incorrectly, they (the tube symbols) have been drawn incorrectly, look at V4, that clearly shows that the anodes are drawn on the wrong triode sections.
                    On sheet 2 however V5 has been drawn correctly.

Cheers,
                    Ian

Comment

YEah, I don't think it's a JCA schematic. It's just what I can find on the web.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by leadfootdriver View Post
                        I should have clarified that I put the tubes in way before this thread. Even so, I swapped in a set of JJ's and the buzz is the same.
                        Have you isolated the buzz by doing a tube pull? (broken record broken record broken record broken record broken record broken record broken record broken record broken record broken record broken record broken record broken record broken record broken record broken record)

Originally posted by leadfootdriver View Post
                        It's pretty much AC ripple. According to the schematic, there's plenty of filtering. But, are all 1N4007 diodes created equal?
                        No. But it's still unlikely to be the problem. Why are you looking past standard troubleshooting techniques and targeting the specifics of different 1N4007 diodes!?!

It's probably a bad ground or decoupling circuit. Maybe a bad relay or coupling from the relay power supply. We have no way to find it if you're just going to float around the advice you asked for.

Comment

Working...
                        X