Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to shield fillament heaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to shield fillament heaters?

I modded this amp by raising the heaters off the PCB. It did wonders, but the only thing I notice is that the amp will hum if I get near it with the guitar.

Could I wrap the heaters with tin foil with any result?

That isn't what you are hearing. Your guitar pickups are getting the magnetic field of the power transformer.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well that's that then. Thanks.

Comment

You could shield the inside of the case. Or at least the part that's between the guitar pickups and amp chassis.

Comment

Basically, what you are calling for is a Faraday Cage.

It would end up the size of a kitchen table.

Comment

Originally posted by masco View Post
            You could shield the inside of the case. Or at least the part that's between the guitar pickups and amp chassis.
            Come to think of it, I've noticed a bunch of new amp heads with the cabinet entirely of metal. Lighter, easier to mass-produce, and possibly draining off some flux lines
            If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
            If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
            We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

ALso easier and cheaper to stamp out in mass production than wood.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

There's two kinds of interference at play here, electrical HF stuff (noise and RF) and magnetic (hum). Normal chassis, foil and silver paint block the former, but not the latter. The only thing that attenuates magnetic interference is distance :-) or specialized metal called mu-metal that is formulated to conduct magnetic fields really well. This is the heavy metal used to shield better input transformers in studio equipment.

Comment

That amp must have been so noisy that when I fixed the heater noise, it revealed the magnetic effect.

Comment

You can probably do that to most amps. Walk up to them when they are running and see if your guitar picks up the field.

My shop guitar picks up a 5150 from 3-4 feet away.

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                      I've noticed a bunch of new amp heads with the cabinet entirely of metal.
                      Like cheapo lunch pails with tube amps inside
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                        Like cheapo lunch pails with tube amps inside
                        If someone got smart they would start selling advertising on their amps like those lunchboxes so you'd have Star Wars amps, and Fred Flintstone amps.....ok, maybe not so smart.

Greg

Comment

I actually don't think that's a bad idea. Maybe not a BIG seller, but I'll bet there's a demographic that is just nerdy enough to go for it. I remember when I was in second grade I had a Steve Austin lunch pail. No, not stone cold Steve Austin. The Six Million Dollar Man! Characters Embossed in the metal adding a realistic 3D graphic relief! All I can say is, if I still had that lunch pail I'd be very tempted to put an amp in it
                          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                          X