No announcement yet.

Banana Jack Amp Kit - No-solder Amplifier Kit on Kickstarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it comes from two issues - one, he admittingly won't ensure a product with fool-proof connectors if he doesn't get a million dollars (or whatever it was) and two, his constant pounding of the sales end of it on a forum not intended for raising money for something like this. There is also the fact that he (Gerry) will NOT admit there is a problem with the design that has to do with the potential of KILLING someone. If he would at least acknowledge those things and make the necessary changes, I saw at least two members that might get behind the project.

The animosity comes from these things and it's easy to understand why.
    --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      Looks like Gerry Banana Jack Amp is getting somewhat dismayed about the World's lack of interest on his last killing machine, so he's bumping it all over the place, since it seems he won't pull enough customers from Kevorkian Corporation.

This is a fresh stint from DIY Audio.

Surprisingly, although that's one Forum noted for embracing far-from-standard ideas, they didn't exactly answer his plea. (as in: no one/zero)
      He'd get a better return standing in the NYC subway shaking a paper coffee cup. Or maybe in the Bowling Green Greyhound bus terminal. What did I say a couple days ago, no gold nuggets, take the burro, pick n shovel & try scratching it up elsewhere. Has he tried the fanboy site yet The Gear Page? Seems there's lots of folks with soft brains and deep pockets there.

Interesting also that the solution to his project was given in this thread partly by him and partly by me. He has at least one sample in his possession or at least in the hands of his 9 year old assistant. They're in the next state and they know what he's up to. I'll bet 39 cents they'd respond if he sent 'em a message. Might even pick up on his project and make a run for the goal posts. But no, it's all about gimme money gimme money gimme money. Which tells us what it's really about. Gimme money. The thrill of the game. The agony of de feet.

It HAS been refreshing to have a couple days off. Yippeee!
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gerry Rzeppa View Post
        By all means. Anyone who doesn't think exactly like we do should be quickly banned lest they give other people ideas. And we certainly don't want ideas on our forum. They're infectious. People talk about them. Discuss them. Argue about them. Do we really want that kind of thing on a public forum? Soon ideas will be everywhere. Before you know it, people will be thinking outside the box. Thinking for themselves! God forbid! Nip those ideas in the bud. Delete this thread now! Mob rule! Mob rule! Mob rule!
        How very SGM of you.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

• Don't dismiss TGP

Answers there have run from:
          more of a toy and novelty than an amp I would use for anything...
          to
          I would want an army of lawyers behind me, before I market this to musicians.
          to
          Guitarists are not the best at 'reading the instruction manual' and are quite used to plugging and unplugging jacks when things are powered on. I think those banana plugs could be lethal.
          which I found very well centered and adult.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• 9 pages so far on DIY stompbox, is that the biggest thread record holder so far Gerry?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

• I think it is attractive but a bad idea. But the discussion points out the aspects that are cool and the ones that make it a bad idea. Our lurker friends can learn a lot by following the thread. We can sneer at it, and they only learn what we think is cool or not cool. By discussing the whys, they can learn what goes into the positions we take.

I visit the DIYAudio a lot, though it isn't centered on my interests. But anytime someone comes up with a hot-chassis project, they won't even allow it to be discussed. They will lock the thread. Some kid gets an old record player and wants to convert it, and before I can say isolation transformer, they've already locked the thread and told the kid not to even talk about such things. I don;t like that. I want to answer the question and tell them WHY it is a bad idea. I could criticize Gerry, others have taken care of that, but as an opportunity to discuss safety, I think it has value.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                Don't dismiss TGP
                Seems there's been a little edit, no matter. Maybe it's because the only time my attention is called to TGP is when there's something goofy going on. I don't much follow them, if you say there are some smart things going on I'll take your word for it, no problem. It IS a popular site, maybe some of the members can fish a handful of change out for the mad inventor/promoter.

For those still interested in finding out more about him, the link he left behind titled 'pleiotropy' will be of interest. I'm surprised he put it on. IMHO it does not show him in a good light. But any publicity is good publicity for someone who wants publicity for free and someone else to do the work. An inveterate coattail rider he is, and capable of carrying on a sly argument. Could have been a character in a Mark Twain novel or short story. Along the lines of the Dolphin (Dauphin) in Huckleberry Finn, or the other guy who claimed to be the authentic Dolphin. If only he would direct his attention in a way that would be really profitable... don't hold your breath. When the snake oil sales chart starts climbing, you'll know who's behind it.

I'd still like to see this thread go to Storm Drain. I don't know if we could stand another category "What Not To Do On MEF."

Also about done with its post mortem. We have bigger better fish to fry. Real things to occupy our minds. Onward & upward.
                Attached Files
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

• Originally posted by gui_tarzan View Post
                  I think it comes from two issues - one, he admittingly won't ensure a product with fool-proof connectors if he doesn't get a million dollars
                  Nothing wrong with that. It's his product; his liability.

his constant pounding of the sales end of it on a forum not intended for raising money
                  Eh? Someone else started the thread, not Gerry. All I've seen Gerry do is answer other people's questions and try to defend his case (albeit stubbornly).

Comment

• As I explained, I thought it would make for troll bait, and it did. It was an inquiry about Gerry, and whether he was watching for any mention of his prodigy, and whether he'd chime in with the same stuff as he'd posted in other forums
                    If you started a thread about something that concerns me, I would show up too.
                    Me too. Seems normal behaviour to me.

Comment

• Okay guys, let's see if we can put this to rest by comparing apples to apples. Here we have:

Top Left: An assembled Banana Jack chassis, ready for testing, further mods, etc.

Top Right: An assembled Mojotone Bassman chassis, ready for testing, further mods, etc.

Bottom Left: A Banana Jack chassis installed in a user-designed cabinet.

Bottom Right: A Mojotone Bassman chassis, installed in a user-designed cabinet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	apples to apples.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	835425

(Click on the photo for a close-up.)

I really don't see why you guys think the stuff on the left is more dangerous than the stuff on the right. Seems to me, at the chassis level, the Banana Jack kit is much safer than the Mojotone Bassman. And once they're each fully enclosed, well, they're fully enclosed.

Comment

• I look at the What's new Tab a lot at the top of the page, this thing is always in it.
                        But, there's never anything new here!
                        Put this thread in the dumpster, and go away!
                        After this thread, I don't even like bananas, or banana Jacks!
                        Isn't it clear, You're not going to get an endorsement, or any money here!
                        "When You find yourself in a hole, Quit Digging"-----Will Rogers
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

• Gerry, yes, once it is enclosed, the exposure problems are moot.

My concern is for the kid who gets just the kit, and has it on his table in front of him, it works. Now he decides to explore...
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gerry Rzeppa View Post
                            I really don't see why you guys think the stuff on the left is more dangerous than the stuff on the right.
                            As an end product you're right, they're equally dangerous. But your product is sold ready to plug-and-play straight away, whereas the other kit had to be built up from individually harmless parts. The user created his own hazards with the conventional kit, whereas you have created the hazards of your product.

Comment

• Originally posted by Merlinb View Post
                              As an end product you're right, they're equally dangerous. But your product is sold ready to plug-and-play straight away, whereas the other kit had to be built up from individually harmless parts. The user created his own hazards with the conventional kit, whereas you have created the hazards of your product.
                              But if you think an accident leading to litigation is unlikely then you don't have to change your design (unless you feel morally obliged to, if nothing else).

But if you think an accident leading to litigation is unlikely then you don't have to change your design (unless you feel morally obliged to, if nothing else).

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan0354 View Post
                                Moderators, this is crossing the line, it's one thing to solicit opinions to develop his product, it's another thing to come here and pitch and promote his product. I don't think the forum should be used for free advertizing.

Someone should report abuse to the forum, I did not find how to do this in the main forum page.

Thank you for trying to fix the internet.
                                If you want this thread to go away, quit posting in it. It will eventually work it's way to the bottom.

@Gerry, You pleaded your case, and received no support whatsoever. Why not just go away and avoid further ridicule?

Comment

Working...
                                X