Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

aluminium plate at the top of the amp what function?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminium plate at the top of the amp what function?

The alluminium plate above the tubes is for what function?

Depends on the amplifier, and since you didn't post a model number or a picture, I can only guess it's there as a shield to keep RF and hum out of the amplifier. I know it does this in some amps.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

seen it in my randalls ,in layfayette tube heads and univox pa head.Thought it was a common feature but it looks like if tubes are facing down instead of up they don't need it. I remember taking apart a randall pro tubes and seeing the shielding.

Comment

It could also be a heat shield to keep the rising hot air from the tubes from charring the (usually wooden) enclosure. That might account for the difference between tubes-up and tubes-down.
        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

It really does depend on the application. Tubes do a lot of things. So does aluminum. Including both in a vague post doesn't mean much.

As R.G. has said, it's either there for shielding or as a heat sink. And as far as I'm concerned tubes up or down isn't the issue. A picture would really help.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
          X