Supro inspired amp to build soon just finished 1st schematic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swingarm View Post
    Who is this SoundGuberMan? Where does he reside? Do i have to climb a mountain to speak to him?
    That's funny right there. And "he" might even think it would be appropriate

You can do some searching here to learn the full story. soundguruman (actual member name) AKA, SGM and apparently now soundguberman is a member here (Or was. He's been MIA for a long while. Possible soundguruban but I don't know). He was very good at dispensing lore based advice and suffered some misconceptions based on personal experiences that he would commonly state as facts. He thought his perceptions were always correct, even when proven wrong. He saw himself as the only competent person in the room. He had the nerve to assign himself the screen name "soundguruman". He wasn't very popular. That's it, in a nutshell.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
      ???
      Usually if someone posts something a bit out of character, I hafta ask why... Everybody okay? I mean, I haven't seen anything, ummmm, SoundGuberMan-worthy here in a while, since Chuck & Swingarm seem to have worked it out... ???

Justin

Forgot:
      I didn't get past the the rude and insulting comments from swingarm as his way of dealing with a reaction to his unusual and rather atypical posts. It is the first disrespectful post I have ever seen here, which I personally have no room for.
      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

• Fair enough... Though, in fifteen years @ Ampage/here, I only recall three REALLY epic fights where the combatants never reconciled amongst themselves... Well, okay, that last one was entire MEF vs. SGM. So, make that 2.

Mark Hammer (I think) had a brilliant post about the "fun" of digital "communications" amd the shoortcomings thereof, and how WAY too much can be misconstrued. I'm glad Chuck & Swingarm got it worked out.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

• Originally posted by Randall View Post
          I didn't get past the the rude and insulting comments from swingarm as his way of dealing with a reaction to his unusual and rather atypical posts. It is the first disrespectful post I have ever seen here, which I personally have no room for.
          On that note, I'm gone, Thank you to the few that contributed. Peace
          http://www.redicecreations.com/radio...RIR-150114.php

Comment

• On that note...

I was honestly confused by the cadence of what had been happening so far. I may have developed a sensitivity after twenty years here . That doesn't mean I can't miss now and then. I don't walk on water! I'd also like to repeat that I never said "You're a troll." I openly wondered about it. And I chose not to read (and still haven't) the ranting responses. I was just glad to be wrong and I'm even happier someone built an amp they like something about Even if any advice I offered was virtually ignored . It's all good and there are loud guitars being played because we stuck it out.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

• I was honestly confused by the cadence of what had been happening so far.

I had to come out of retirement

Cadence? Look Mr ego I understand you fancy yourself well read in the realm of guitar amps and I'm sure you are. In fact so much so that you have a cult following among the weak minded shut ins like dogman.

Chuck you were being kinda "funny" for lack of a better word, and your actions were uncalled for. Instead, you say you may have been out of order but well, you are above apologies.*laughs* Then you project your shit on me and go off judging me for my my "defamatory rants" *laughs* Ok we laugh... I extend the olive branch and you accept. Then one of your disciples comes out of the woodwork and for his first post on the thread well after the issue was resolved feels the need to be a man. Instead he illustrates his own weakness.

I think if you read my first few posts the "cadence" was already established. I said I like to build amps for fun. I admitted that I'm not real strong in theory. No? So what "Cadence" are you referring? This is way too draining for something that should be fun. When you said "I think we are being trolled" as if speaking to the greater community instead of me? and derail the thread what did you think was going to happen? An 8000 plus post count does not give you a license to be an asshole and to me no amount of consensus in your favor will change that simple truth in my mind. I think your closing post was maybe designed to reassure yourself just as much as the community that you were justified for acting as you did. You were not, but I think you know that, you're a smart guy

In hind sight I wish I never recognized Randall's trolling. And it was trolling, by trying to start controversy when the issue had been resolved and passed.

I hold no animosity but will not be shat upon, ya know?

I'm easy to get along with. When provoked I will play. I think its best that people imagine sitting across from the other person in real life. Maybe people would not be so quick in their assessments In fact I know its most certainly true in my part of the country. I am a gold miner by trade (Long Hole driller) In this red neck culture people still get punched in the face when they are talking when they should be listening. Please don't take this as threatening language I'm just making an observation. Ha ha! swingarm now seems to make more sense, its just a coincidence though
              Last edited by swingarm; 01-20-2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• The cadence I'm referring to was (and continued to be for most of this thread) you asking about things and then shoving the responses aside while simultaneously confounding the issue with new things. This is VERY often a classic troll maneuver and usually ends with long rants and greater antagonistic behaviors. I mentioned that I was glad to have been wrong. At this point remain hopeful.

Now, I never said I was above apologies. In fact I said "I'm not above apologies." And then didn't apologize pending how things turned out. Well I'll tell you what. I was wrong to make any assumptions about your intentions at that point and I apologize for insulting you. That said...

If you don't want to take advice you shouldn't ask for it and then refuse and refute virtually all of it on a podium of non conformity. It's antagonistic. But we all have our own process. And in some ways yours looks like, well...

Anyway.?. You may yet have occasional technical issues on projects that actually need refinement to function properly or troubleshooting to do that would benefit from experience. We'll be here if you need us. Welcome to the forum.

Comment

• I simply noted that swingarm was derailing the issue for himself and even seemingly acting counter productive to advice that had been given. He did this in the guise that he was unaware so it's then impossible to hold him at fault. This behavior continues to draw attention with no effective result. That is classic trolling.
                  and
                  If you don't want to take advice you shouldn't ask for it and then refuse and refute virtually all of it on a podium of non conformity. It's antagonistic. But we all have our own process. And in some ways yours looks like, well... LOL thanks for your apology!!!! WOW!

All this by post 14 ? Post #8 was my fatal flaw. my mouse had grabbed some elements in the schematic and inadvertently dragged/skewed them them and I didnt notice (post 12). Dave pointed this out. Then came the troll accusation, I was not being rude and I was thanking people for their input and making note of and learning about the paraphase a PI that I had never used and was learning about thanks to the group.

Then later in the thread because I did'nt implement your fixed bias switch. A fixed bias switch that you said gives no audable variation. To paraphrase, you said "even cork sniffing tone snobs can't tell the difference." I had not tried this in an amp before. Then I read about using a resistor only at the cathode and how it gave a rounder tone especially a higher value resistance, so there would be at least some tonal variation and so a reason to even have the switch in the first place. You yourself had never tried it but suggested I implement your bias switch because it was simple and then you used some other descriptors maybe elegant I cant remember.However in my mind I was taking your advice that your or my fixed bias scheme would give no tonal variation. Instead you took it as rejection of your fixed bias switch and a waste of your breath/text on me. This amp was a fairly straight forward design. Maybe I should have just done my own experimentation and not asked anyones opinion. I thought it was the point of the forum. Unfortunately It certainly shaped your opinion of me that's for sure.

I had already drilled the hole in the amp for fixed bias, Jeez ... and again Instead you said If i was going to implement such a switch the only worthwhile way was to do your zeener method. I had an "attachment" to a fixed bias method that just didnt have any merit. Maybe it didnt, but it was a method I had used in the past successfully and it was not out of defiance against your suggestion.The non conformist was being used for comic relief to keep things light. Your suggestion made sense. Quite simply the chassis was already drilled for it!! So really maybe all I really needed was to have the cathode bypass and maybe a bit more resistance in series on a switch. I may try this too. I may hook up my fixed bias too. Why is all this so so insulting? I don't get it? I used your input switch suggestion and thanked you for your your input The statement that" if I'm not going to take the advice don't ask for it " is not fair nor does it reflect reality. Sigh....what a mess...

If the forum thinks I'm an ass so be it.I leave humiliated. Still the the crux of this issue remains,you said. I think we are being trolled which translates to I think you are a troll no? So if I passionately and colorfully pepper you with humorous,(at least in my opinion) examples of trolling and call you an asshole I don't see anything wrong with that in the slightest. Sorry if I took too much and did'nt give enough master. We all tend to cherry pick pieces of reality that keep us safe within our own little reality tunnels

Last edited by swingarm; 01-20-2015, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• That's enough. You're just pulling dirt down onto yourself trying to get out of the hole. I've been as moderate as I can stand. Do yourself a solid and just go away now. Understand that continued ranting will achieve nothing because:

A) I won't read it.

B) It will be the last straw before I just unsubscribe from the thread and ignore it, and you forever.

C) You're not making headway. There's nothing to be gained. No points are being given out by anyone. Everyone here actually dislikes this crap.

I'm choosing not to participate further.

See ya.

Comment

• I find all these little "likes" pathetic too, (I'm in your corner bro!) Are we 15 years old? Maybe me being a luddite when it comes to social media IDK? I just don't "get it". "The new guy is a stranger an outsider!" " he don't belong in these parts coming in here with his KOC hanging out like he's the shit." " Who does he think he is! He is a troll thats who! linch that somebitch" lol goodbye Chucky

Everyone here actually dislikes this crap. Why did you feel the need to start it? What motivates you?

You are a wee man that needs the group behind you to validate you, pathetic, begging for consensus at every turn.

Edit: Incidentally, I find it quite telling that you say That's enough. You're just pulling dirt down onto yourself trying to get out of the hole.
                      I do not feel I'm in a hole at all. The fact is its you that oozes arrogance and I would not be addressing this if you did not keep trying to associate me with and reinforcing blame through tacit consent, no no no! I will not be silent and brow beaten by the likes of you sir. However the sad fact is your the guy that has 20 years here. Do I think for one minute that facts have any bearing on this issue? Not a chance. You are Chuck H (the H is silent)

We just about got past it...
                      Last edited by swingarm; 01-20-2015, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by swingarm View Post
                        Edit: Incidentally, I find it quite telling that you say That's enough. You're just pulling dirt down onto yourself trying to get out of the hole.
                        I do not feel I'm in a hole at all. The fact is its you that oozes arrogance and I would not be addressing this if you did not keep trying to associate me with and reinforcing blame through tacit consent, no no no! I will not be silent and brow beaten by the likes of you sir.
                        Look up "Googan"
                        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

• When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

• googan

A cross between a cheeseburger and a hampster.

Comment

• I know, I know ...let the public stoning begin *raises chin and smiles*

Comment

• @ swingarm

Firstly: While you may think "likes" are pathetic and "I'm in your corner bro!", they can be a valuable tool if you pay attention. If a post is liked by many, it's a good sign that the information contained in that post is worth reading or taking note. Not unlike a "+1". Your comment is petty and shows a lack of understanding.

Secondly: Many, including myself, follow threads as I have this one. The reason I have no other posts in the thread is not because of disinterest. It's because anything I had to add myself had already been posted by others. A simple nod ("like") in agreement suffices. So one should not be surprised when someone jumps in at the end. Happens all the time.

Thirdly: Early on I even defended you and pointed out to Chuck that he may have jumped the gun calling you out. Fences were mended and the thread went on as it should. Your latest onslaught has made me rethink that choice.

Fourthly: Chuck and others have been here for years offering free advice and helping folks like you. They dedicate their time and knowledge willingly. They have shown, over a vast sample of time, their expertise. Of course I respect them. It has nothing to do with some sort of "good ole boys club". It has to do with respect for their ideas and dedication. You're "the new kid on the block" not unlike starting a new job. You have to earn respect and you have clearly demonstrated that you have absolutely no intention of doing so. Instead, you start off by pissing in their coffee with a page of ranting. You would do better here and in life to "adjust" your attitude so that you might learn from these people instead of pissing them off.
                                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                                X