Dr Z Therapy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
    though these amps are quite simple, there is little point in discussing the circuit without a schematic, IMHO.

Mike Zaite should make a multi gain stage version and name it THERAPIST, with a nod to Sean Connery on Jeopardy (SNL)...
    I like the Monty Python version...

THE RAPIST
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

No one's said it yet, so I'll chime in:

I'm thinking the "cascaded" term is hanging around from the JCM800 days, or even before that when people would have their plexis modified so the two channels would be cascaded instead of in parallel. So, "cascaded" = "stoopid amounts of gain", in guitar speak, as far as I can tell.

Man, I'd really like to update that scene in Airplane. "Urgh...transparent overdrive...fragile harmonics...bloom..." "Excuse me ma'am, maybe I can help. I speak guitarist."

Comment

Agree that "cascade" in the Dr. Z ad probably means "not more than two gain stages in the preamp." Sounds like the only diffrrence from a Fender to me is where he put the tone stack. Ramp up the signal to distortion first, then eq the distorted signal, instead of eq the clean signal but lose a bunch and re-amplify it back up again... Hell, I never had a problem getting "stoohpid amounts of gain" from a Champ w. no tone stack, or a Spitfire, or a two-stage Fender preamp... all depends on how much junk you put in between the stages. My last build was completely out of control ( ) with just two stages, volume, and no tone controls. I had to make it usable for the customer, of course...

There's more than enough gain on tap to not need 7 stages and twelve eq knobs. Hell, just adding a couple cathode bypass caps to a 59 Lectrolab made it go from squeaky clean & wimpy to raging Neil Young crunch monster... The less stuff in there the better, AND less "moving parts to break" and have to replace.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

found these somewhere in my travels on the net
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the zips.
            Justin I'm all for the stripping back of amps, and as a mainly Floyd player I just need amps that take pedals and let the pedals do the voicing. I've read many reports of people finding their tone on a Dr Z amp and not needing much pedal input, but I'm crap on just guitar and amp, I need to hind behind pedals.
            The Therapy seems to not have a "sweet spot" and so many (in the US at least" are coming onto the 2nd hand market. As soon as 1 appears in the UK I'll probably buy it. I'm thinking it will be good platform for a pedal player.
            From the gut shot you can trace the schematic. I'm building a small therapy utilising bits I have floating around on the cheep. I'm starting a thread for the build.

Comment

Working...
            X