Mini Therapy Head build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Therapy Head build.

Hi, while I wait for a Therapy to appear on the 2nd hand market I'm building a mini version using 6v6's and parts I have in my bin. It is my largest build to date and will be a stepping stone for a future Therapy build.

I'm thinking of putting in fixed bias. I will be using a set of Marshall 18 watter tranny's. I have read these are suitable for a 6v6 cathode bias build but will they handle a pair of 6V6's with grid bias?

PT is 290-0-290 120ma.

Thanks.

What are you hoping the B+ will be? Fixed bias nets you 10 - 12 volts over a cathode biased EL84, which is still not "high" voltage on a 6V6. I think. What kind of recto?
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Hi, I was going solid state but could fit a tube recitifier in if it helps. I was hoping to get B+ up to around 370.

Comment

Originally posted by wozt View Post
        Hi, I was going solid state but could fit a tube recitifier in if it helps. I was hoping to get B+ up to around 370.
        370 is good for 20+ watts from a pair of 6V6s. You may want to think about controlling the grid voltage down around 350 to prevent over-dissipating. Is the OT is 8k a-a? I think you'll need that for 6V6s at that voltage.
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
          Is the OT is 8k a-a? I think you'll need that for 6V6s at that voltage.
          Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608
          Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608 Hammond 1608
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

What do you REALLY think?
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              Hammond 1608 ...Hammond 1608
              I think Chuck likes the 1608. I may have to save up my pennies for one soon.

Originally posted by wozt View Post
              I will be using a set of Marshall 18 watter tranny's.
              I didn't realize til I looked it up that the Marshall 18W (from Hammond, at least) is 8.4k a-a. Can't find a source for one to compare prices though. Only out of curiousity. I have a couple OTs queued up for upcoming projects.

Comment

The thread has been going awhile and I didn't "back read". wozt did say he had a tranny set.

Yes. I like the 1608. I tried one for the first time on the suggestion of shea, a long time member we don't hear from anymore (unless he's using a different SN). He won a local, but somewhat known amp tone shootout with an 18W build using this tranny and he endorsed them often. I've liked them. In a side by side with a comparable Heyboer I like the 1608 better. I guess they've actually become a bit spendy, relatively. That wasn't always the case. The market has become more competitive and Hammond has stayed the same.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

wozt has another thread going about picking a tranny for a 2x 6V6 build. Same project? I dunno. I hope they check in soon with some comments

Comment

Working...
                  X