Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My amp blew the DC fuse. Look at these tubes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My amp blew the DC fuse. Look at these tubes.

Actually, I wasn't playing it at the moment of failure. But I was messing around with recording, and went to do a take after a few minutes, and found the amp was dead. I pulled the DC 1 amp use, and found that it was fried. I assume it was the power tubes.

I can't say I ever encountered tubes that looked like this at the top, where the getter flashing is black and not a shinny chrome like the other pair. I bought this amp used, and I assume these are the original power tubes that are at least 5 years old. What do you think?

Check the grid load for that tube bank. If it's good and all it's connections check out look to the PI coupling cap for leakage. You may have blown screen resistors too but that isn't the primary problem.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

A brownish getter usually means the getter material condensed more quickly (or more slowly, I can't remember which). It's usually normal.

Comment

I thought it pretty normal too. Though I thought it may be usage related, like if someone was only running one pair, then put the other 2 back in much later.
        Don't think it would be related to the fuse though, unless you specifically noticed it was not there before the fuse blew.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
        X