• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 x Transformer - Hammond, Output, Single-Ended, 30 W - $152.31
    SKU: P-T1640SEA https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-T1640SEA

1 x Transformer - Hammond, Power,
    SKU: P-T272JX https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-T272JX

It's still being modded. I got a larger choke,a Triad 4 henry,100 ohm,250ma.
    Variable cathode bias rheostat I will change out as well as the fixed cathode resistor.
    Right now I can run 3 x 6v6,2 x 6l6/KT66,1 x KT88,KT90.
    With the bias mods:
    3 x 6v6,2 or 3 6l6/KT66,1 or 2 KT88,1 x KT120,1 x KT150,2 x 6v6 with one 6l6/KT66,etc.

I have a bunch of old american tubes that I have been mixing & matching. Combinations that I can never use in my Tweed Fender clones !

JJ
    Last edited by Jammin'John; 04-04-2015, 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Stephenson amps in Canada make an amp with 3 ouput valves (tubes).

Standard Tube Amplifier by Stephenson Amplification

It looks like the amp is indeed push pull, and that the "extra" valve (an EL84) can be switched in an out.

These amps seem to be inspired by many of Kevin O'Connor's ideas in TUT series (co-incidentally also Canadian...).

In addition to mixing output valves, the Stephenson amp doesn't label the impedance selector switch with the nominal impedance tap, the idea being that you should use the setting you like the sound of best, and not worry about employing the "correct" tap on the secondary, another one of Kevin's ideas.

I can't comment of the sound of these amps as I haven't heard one.

Laney have also had a 5 EL34 output valve parallel single-ended amp in production for a while now.

Comment

I think that sunn drone's inquiry can only be confounded at this point. I'll go out on a limb and say that what the average musician is going to encounter in instrument amplifiers isn't likely to demonstrate even one three power tube amp. Let alone "some". It took a thread full of nerds just to find a few. Most amps perceived as having three tubes are likely cases of mistaken identity. As far as I know Fender, Marshall, Vox, Selmer, Mesa, Sears/Silvertone, Supro, Watkins, Hiwatt, Sunn, etc, never made one.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          I think that sunn drone's inquiry can only be confounded at this point. I'll go out on a limb and say that what the average musician is going to encounter in instrument amplifiers isn't likely to demonstrate even one three power tube amp. Let alone "some". It took a thread full of nerds just to find a few. Most amps perceived as having three tubes are likely cases of mistaken identity. As far as I know Fender, Marshall, Vox, Selmer, Mesa, Sears/Silvertone, Supro, Watkins, Hiwatt, Sunn, etc, never made one.
          Thought you were pickin at me till I googled confounded. Then I caught a smile. I didn't mean ta do that ta anyone. Honest engine. Ahm just an old person who tinkers with old amps, been doing the collecting part for a long time. I just about feel like my collection is complete. So I was peelin thru ebay and it came to me, what kinda amp is it that I don't have? I had remembered seeing so many odd configuations on ebay thru the years and I never paid much notice to em because thats not what I was collecting at the time.. I just assumed when I posted at the forum that everyone else had spent years at ebay looking at amplifiers getting ideas to what they needed as I had. If readers saw the stream they would know what I was getting at. I was reluctant at not mentioning ebay. Sorry folks. Confounded, hadn't heard that expression since my algebra teacher used it back in the seventys.........

Comment

Originally posted by sunn drone View Post
            randall satan power tube test right at the end of the you tube mixes 6l6 and kt88. You could do a mix with 50 watter since it has adjustible bias for each tube but thats only 2 tubes. With a 6550 I'd worry bout screwin up a nice amp. And then again It wouldn't quite be a tweed thing runnin randall. They have phase inverter and not a rectifier like tweed amps do ta get get the sag,or lag......
            The statement about one amp having a rectifier vs. a phase inverter indicates sunn drone might not understand why amps, push pull amps, cannot have an uneven set of tubes. also more rectifier tubes are not required in relation to the number of power tubes in an output stage.

The randall referred to uses mis matched pairs to make up the halves of an output stage. long story short, yeah you could have an amp with 3 power tubes. i've fixed a few amps that got used this way for a while, gigged, not sounding great though...

Comment

FWIW I felt curious and found the Beacon, NY 3 tube amp referred to above.

And it's a single ended amp, so any number of tubes, odd or even, can be used there.