Obsolete Electronics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uboat229 View Post
    thanks leo for the comments on the g12n65's.... theres a pair on ebay for $50 but i will run what i have for now.....havent used a fuzz since i sold my old fuzz face...couldnt believe someone paid me $900 for it.... all i use now is my echoplex ep2.... nice preamp stage

Frank
    There's so many overjive gadgets these days. Fuzz face was kind of severe. EP2, much less so, just a little warm boost. Lots of choices in the not-so-overdone, you can always score a non-vintage non-collectible Tube Screamer for reasonable loot. And they don't sound all that different from the 'spensive ones. Funny there's no tube in it despite the name. I could be biased (pun unintended) just because I happen to have one. All the other boxes I have are definitely fuzzers.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Lots of marketing... lots of gadgets..... fuzz face was good for lots of hendrix stuff... but i knew what it could do and didnt need the vintage vibe... ill get another used one someday..... tube screamer has been kind of a standard for 20 years... they do sound good.... so do some of the boss pedals..and im sure many others...ive still got a digitech rp7 that Does have a 12ax7 in it....but mostly its just the echoplex, my old crybaby, amp and guitar....the echoplex does stuff no other box does... except the fulltone.... and you can settle for a maestro but i knew mike battles and how gibson screwed him,,,ep2 is much better made...but i could be biased (pun intended).. Leo are you also a musician? anywhere near west point and camp smith?

Frank Uboat

Comment

Originally posted by uboat229 View Post
        how bout prof errin corey.... he is more my speed..... any comments on marshall g12n65's?......i can get em cheap.... and da back ruptured building the tridents..and knees and shoulders...but it was not a job it was a mission (<former ist class nuke welder) i know the g12n's are cheapies but that might be just what i need...instead of slicing the g12t75's

uboat
        The G12T75 are scooped (no midrange and aggressive) Metal speakers , G1265 are not sweeter, still buzzy but with the peak at a different frequency, V intage 30 have a wider midrange peak just where ear is most sensitive, so they are deafeningly loud, and seem to have not much bass or zing .... not really but that midrange peak overpowers everything else.

Save your money, don't hurry, and eventually you'll have enough to buy a couple old and noble G30H , they still use the old formula of old glue and paper coils (hence the low 30W rating) , most similar to what was originally there instead of burning money on reedition Alnicos.

FWIW and before V30 was even designed, Matchless made KILLER cabs and combos mixing one Greenback and one G12H , one covering for the faults of the other, so that might be another option.

Those light Jensens are a picker (Strat or Tele equipped) wet dream come true.

Never thought about coupling them to "A MARSHALL" but hey, might sound fine

Only problem is that at full blast it will *definitely* murder the R coils, the Q ones might survive.

An interesting option is Jensen's MOD series, justly named "American with a British touch" because they are there, around an intermediate sound , which works well with both.

The MOD1250 is same as a reinforced Jensen C12Q but with a somewhat stronger 50W voice coil, 2 of them will stand your fully overdriven amp all day long.
        One big bonus is that since neither Jimi nor Stevie used them (they were designed way after both were dead) , they are relatively inexpensive, you pay for the actual speaker, not the fairy dust.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

(In "Barney the Dinosaur" voice):
          Hey kids, today we'll throw a 5lb block of Sodium in the school pond! Then we'll play with Phosphorus & Calcium! And, does Methylene Blue <REALLY> make your pre change colors if you use it as a food coloring? Maybe if we have time, we'll melt steel by igniting a pound of magnesium shavings! And best of all, let's see what happens when you <DO> dump "random chemicals" down the drain!"

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Nice topic

Comment

Originally posted by hannagrande View Post
              Nice topic
              Hi spambot, long time no see.
              You forgot to update your avatar.
              Here:

Hope you have a long list of "one size fits all" answers so it does not get boring so fast.

Almost forgot:
              "I liked your post" he he.

As of "bacterial vaginosis", you won't get many customers for your "natural organic remedies" , specially because it's actually "vaginitis".

As of mine, I got rid of it by using the recipe posted above:
              first:
              a 5lb block of Sodium
              Then a couple pounds of
              Phosphorus & Calcium!
              got a little itchy down there, so finished:
              igniting a pound of magnesium shavings!
              this really took care of the buggers !!!!!!!!
              Last edited by J M Fahey; 03-20-2016, 08:09 PM.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hey JM.... well im new to this list.... just been responding to amillion one size fits all hammond and leslie questions....DA SPAMBOT!!!!! reminds me of monty python....wish i woulda got on this list long time ago.....i dont use mag shavings... an ice pic is slower but the pain lasts longer..... i guess ill have to find out what avatar means in this context.....

Frank uboat

Comment

An ice pick is fine if you have good aim and hit each bacteria right in the head.

Wait a minute .... they actually don't have heads !!!!!!!
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hey, leave me out of it! :O.

Okay, I'll quit derailing the thread now. I was just answering Leo...

Justin
                    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Back to miking up, before we got onto all those amusing derails & spam entertainment.

For an "authentic" sound, I was wondering what was used back in the days of "Beano". Lo and behold, got an answer from the microphone guru his self, Klaus Heyne:

"U67 could be found en masse in studios outside Germany, and often with great creative outcome: Listen to Mike Vernon's productions of John Mayall's Blues Breakers, especially Eric Clapton's guitar on the seminal 'Beano' LP, recorded at DECCA in London."

U67, Telefunken or Neumann badged, leather optional. That ain't no '57!

Now, where'd they aim it and at what distance?
                      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Isn't the U67 a condenser mic? What tube needs to be in the mic?
                        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

You can get the manual here:

https://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=...7_publications

Condenser = Yes
                          Tube = EF86
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Just thinking aloud, but all those wonderful British Sound Engineers were classical trained, I expect much more 40ish guys with short and combed hair, glasses, short sleeve white shirts , the works, rather than any long haired inexperienced kid (*all* were kids, except John Mayall himself) running "their" equipment, and I bet they were masters of microphone positioning, specially in an era of just a couple channels recording an Orchestra and having to use a single mike (out of necessity) for a lot of instruments at once.
                            And "pre-mixing" by carefully positioning instruments relative to a lonely mike.

My point? ... I can easily imagine said Engineer trying to capture *some* ambience, also being accustomed to instruments which are *not* a point source, and to boot priotecting the delicate gold vaporized condenser diaphragms from the onslaught of a so-loud-it-distorts guitar amp, ans so setting his microphone at least 3 feet away from grill cloth, and easily way more away than that.

Microphone against the grill cloth, stuck into the speaker?
                            Very much doubt so.

Of course, sound picked 3 to 6 feet away (or more) is *worlds* away from close miking.

May be wrong of course, but that image seems approppriate to the place and era.

Might also explain why reissues do not sound like recorded examples of originals.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                              Might also explain why reissues do not sound like recorded examples of originals.
                              Also, the big studios in those days all had their own 'in house' reverb, which might have been a huge plate reverb, or a dedicated echo-chamber room. Even a little bit of that type of reverb could affect the tone quite a lot.

Comment

You bet

I was installing (some 30 years ago) one of my ultra low impedance multi headphone amps in an old and distinguished Buenos Aires recording Studio, "Estudios ION" , when one of the Engineers told me: "hey Juan, you always like to see curious things, come and I'll show you our old "echo chamber".

He proceeded to open a floor trap and flip a light switch.
                                I could see a metallic staircase leading to a white room below.

Went down and was in a small bedroom sized room, fully tiled , no furniture, with a dilapidated looking speaker in one end (although it was probably a "BBC Tannoy" or similar type) on one corner, and a Studio type microphone stand at the other end, high in the air.

I would have loved to hear it working, but unfortunately it had been disconnected from the system, replaced by an Austrian or German Plate Reverb, can't remember the brand.

He claimed (and I believe him) it worked very well, but the real advantage of the Plate Reverb was that they could easily vary "room size and shape" by selecting and mixing different pickups mounted on the plate ... not possible with a real room of course.

Also told me that in the beginning it took some time to find optimal speaker and microphone position and then, it was "set in stone".

I bet that room is still there ... unused of course.
                                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                                X