Power Transformer Rating Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Transformer Rating Help.

Hi, I am looking to build a guitar amp with 4X6v6's and 412ax7's. On the Dreamtone calculator (solid state rectification) a figure of 182mA is given for a 300-0-300 transformer. What Ma rating would you go for to give the transformer an easy life.

Thanks.

Are you designing in some sag or do you want the power supply to be stiff? What B+ are you shooting for?

Comment

Originally posted by wozt View Post
      What Ma rating would you go for to give the transformer an easy life.
      It depends on a couple of things but you should be pretty safe with 200mA+. Any PT made for a typical 50W amp with enough filament winding capacity (4A) should do.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by potatofarmer View Post
        Are you designing in some sag or do you want the power supply to be stiff? What B+ are you shooting for?
        I don't want sag and want a stiff power supply. I have just finished a cathode biased 6v6 amp and ended up with around 410v B+ about 385v on the plates. That was with a 290-0-290 tranny with solid state rectification.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          It depends on a couple of things but you should be pretty safe with 200mA+. Any PT made for a typical 50W amp with enough filament winding capacity (4A) should do.
          I have a Carlsbro 50 top which has partridge transformers. The PT was for 2 EL34's at 50 watts. The amp circuit board has had some poor cap replacement and mod's. It is an amp that needs a turret board making to make it reliable again, but that isn't something I really want to do.The schematic doesn't show the mA rating but it does have a bias widing which is good. You think this would be a viable doner amp?
          The schematic shows 440v on the plates, too high for 6v6's?
          Last edited by wozt; 04-29-2015, 08:13 AM.

Comment

A stiff high VB+ may result in the power tube plate/screen grids over dissipating, as B+ sag acts to mitigate this.
            If there's little sag, it may be better to start out with a lower VB+.
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
            X