Speculations on Reverb Pans and the Belton BTDR-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculations on Reverb Pans and the Belton BTDR-2

Sometimes I get tired of the circuit design and analysis work I have to do as part of my job. When that happens, I usually go off and do circuit design and analysis for fun. And you thought that bus drivers were strange in their choices of vacations...

Today's little mental holiday led me off to reverb pans, that topic having been current here a lot. Reverb pans are a lot like pencils; there are many kinds and sizes, most people kind of know how they work, and manage to use them without a lot of thought. There are more modern updates and changes that do much the same thing, but there is a core of folks that prefer the feel and results of the old fashion Eberhard Faber #2 to any mechanical pencil or pen.

The Beltone BTDR-2 is by most accounts an OK-ish replacement for the usual reverb tank if you design the circuitry to go around it and tinker till it sounds right. But it's not a direct replacement. My speculation was that I could design something with it that was a modestly useful direct replacement.

In my mind, that means that the thing is the same size or smaller than the usual reverb tanks, mounts in a similar way, and connects in and out with RCA phono jacks like the originals. I allowed myself a departure in that I thought it was OK if it had a DC power jack added, as I didn't think I could make it practical with batteries. The idea is that this hypothetical lump could be used like the reverb pan in an amp; the original pulled out, a DC power wire and plug concocted, then the new thing plugged in with the old wires as a retrofit.

That sounds simple enough, but it took me a fair amount of thinking to figure out how I think it would work. The problem is untying all the knots that were put in the original circuits to drive the cuss-ed spring tanks in the first place.

The BTDR-2 is easy enough to use. It needs 5Vdc at something under 100ma to run. When it gets that, it takes in audio at its input at something about like +3dbm or so and gives you two outputs that are delayed some, with repflections and such, at the output at roughly the same as the input level. These can be used separately or mixed to mono.

Real reverb pans come in a wide range of input impedances and as such need a wide range of input drive signals. They also produce miniscule outputs, on the order of 6-10mVrms. This needs recovery amplification on the order of the amount that moving coil hifi cartridges do. Worse, the better drivers for reverb pans drive them HARD to get past the 60-100db signal loss in the tanks from input to output. And the inputs have their nominal impedance only at the nominal 1kHz measurement frequency. They're actually inductors between 10mH and 250mH with varying DC resistances. Getting anything even crudely like a smooth frequency response requires driving the input with a waveform that makes a constant current per frequency happen in the inductive inputs, and that means that the good reverb drivers have outputs that ramp up in frequency at a rate of one time constant, doubling in voltage every octave. Fortunately, all the realistic ones give up on driving the coils much above 5-7kHz, or the driving voltage would get really out of hand.

And that's the real problem with subbing in a BTDR-2. You have to un-wind that input drive voltage from doubling each octave, AND let the drive circuits think they're driving a real coil, AND get the drive voltage to the BTDR-2 set up to be about level with frequency from low guitar up to maybe 7kHz, as well as something like line level or above. The fact that reverb drive circuits may either drive the input with a current-source signal, letting the voltage rise to keep the current per frequency level, or with a pre-equalized voltage source that rises with frequency but ignores how much current flows, assuming that the current will sort itself out. Some of them assume a floating, non-grounded input on the tank too. I didn't think I could do anything about that without a fancier power supply than I wanted to require, so I left off doing that.

The approach I took was to make the driver happy by putting a coil on the board for the driver to drive. The advent of switching power supplies has made small, radial-package inductors available in the market. You can get inductors in the Bourns family (and probably others) up to 120mH with a series resistance of less than 100 ohms for about $2. A pair of these lets you fake the input impedance of a "1475 ohm" Accutronics tank if you put them in series. By picking other inductors from the same line, you can fake the inductance and resistance of the lower-impedance reverb tanks. The drive circuit will then not know it's not driving an unusually stable reverb pan input.

But that can have as much as +/-30V peaks on the inductors. So I designed an R-C network to take the inductor voltage as an input, and reduce the voltage linearly with rising frequency by using a cap to shunt voltage to ground. This unwinds the rising voltage drive to a linear-with-frequency signal. It has the advantage of lowering the really high drive voltage at high frequency. The signal still probably isn't at the right level, but signal level changes is what opamps are for, right? So I allowed myself one dual opamp. The front end opamp takes the frequency-leveled drive signal and converts it to the right level for the BTDR-2 by having a variable gain. Just to be sure the opamp doesn't kill the BTDR-s, there are some clipping diodes to keep the level into it from getting out of hand. The second section of the opamp buffers the BTDR output and drives a resistor/pot network to cut the signal back down so the "recovery" circuit in the amp will get only its measly 10mV and won't overload.

Power supplies was an issue. the BTDR needs 5V, the opamps need at least that, and it's poor economy to have to build a whole new power supply for this thing. About the best I could do was to put in a series of three voltage regulators. A 7824 will take in up to 40V safely. This drives a 7815, which then drives a 7805. That seems downright silly, until you note that 100ma at 40V is 4W, and things could get hot. This sequence of regulators spreads the 4W out so the regulators are all eating about the same power, and this gets each of them under the 2W that a TO-220 can get rid of in free air. So this thing can be driven by DC supplies from about 9V up to 40V by selective population of regulators and jumpers. So it's probably going to be at home in any amp with a power supply between 9V and 40V positive.

That doesn't help much with tube amps, unfortunately. Another 100ma out of a 500V B+ is going to generate another 50W of heat even if I had a circuit to do it and get rid of the heat. Not elegant. A switching step down is also not a good idea inside a tube amp. About all I can come up with here is a small toroid-based power supply running from the 120Vac or a wall wart separate from the amp.

That part is still TBD.

The circuit board is about 2.5 "by 5.5" at present, with the DC power, input and output phono jacks on it.

Of course there is plenty of room inside a cannibalized reverb tank.

Sigh. Back to the day job.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Did you consider using the inductor as the filter? Maybe you could use a small resistor in series to ground (producing a voltage proportional to the current through the inductor). This should mostly have the high frequency emphasis removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
      Did you consider using the inductor as the filter? Maybe you could use a small resistor in series to ground (producing a voltage proportional to the current through the inductor). This should mostly have the high frequency emphasis removed.
      I did. I messed with that a bit and decided against it based on the loss of signal to noise. A resistor in series with the coil-faking inductor has to be no larger than the wire resistance of the original coil to keep the driver circuit plausibly "the same". The trouble is that you may need all of the available resistance for the coil-faking inductor's own wire. This gets bad with the 1475-ohm inputs. Those things have a couple of hundred ohms of resistance according to the accutronics charts for a 250mH inductance. You can wind something like this up with a resistance of 20-50 ohms on a wah-inductor style core, but winding an inductor is something that is out of the question for most DIYers.

I wanted to stay with off-the-shelf inductors, and the practical thing is s series connection of two 120mH inductors, each with an 82 ohm resistance. That means the series resistor I could use for sampling the current was down in the sub-100 ohm range, and the voltage is quite small. So it needed to be amplified quite a bit to get up to the line level-ish voltage the BTDR needs, so noise goes up. I guess I could have reconfigured the opamp into a current input device, but that also gets trickier for the DIY builder.

So I decided to use a simply one-R, one-C lowpass to "invert" the one-R, one-L response of the coils. This leaves the circuit without needing so much gain, and the cap naturally cuts the thermal noise from the resistor (although not from the following amp to match levels).
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
        I did.
        I think what you did is the best way in order to keep the frequency correction circuit independent from the "artificial load", and thus make it easier to adapt the circuit to systems designed for coils of various impedances. Not so sure the noise is an issue, though. If the drive current is 4ma, for example, and you want 50mv, R = .05/.004 = 12.5 ohms, probably OK.

Comment

7824 -> 7815->7805 ???

Why not use a LR12?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	LR12.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	840063
          Vin to 100v, output to 100mA, TO-92, $1.24

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...%20C080113.pdf

Comment

Good idea! With 100V in, 5V out, the chip has 95V across it. At 100ma through it, it dissipates 95 * 0.1 = 9.5W.

This must be in the silicon carbide and nano-tube carbon version of the TO-92, right?

Most references say the TO-92 has a thermal resistance of 160C/W from chip to air, so I think this would give a chip temperature of 160 * 9.5 = 1520C on top of a 25C ambient. This would just about melt carbon steel, so the chip would be at least melted, perhaps vaporized.

I thought a cascade of bigger silicon devices would be more manageable for DIYers.
            Last edited by R.G.; 11-13-2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

the TO-252 version with 40V into it might be more tractable!

I do still miss the old LM337HV & LM117HV chips...

your cascaded design will have >120db of ripple rejection as a bonus
              Last edited by tedmich; 11-13-2015, 07:17 AM.

Comment

TI still makes the LM317HV, and Mouser has stock in the TO-220 *and* TO-3 packages. They'll take 60V in, and those cases can get out many watts with a proper sink.

I thought about using the 317HV for this, but it's rarer than the 3-terminals, and more costly (~~$3), so I went with the three $0.50 chips.

As a side note, it is possible to use a high voltage bipolar or MOSFET in a follower configuration to float an LM317 so it can directly regulate hundreds of volts. Getting this to be stable and transient-proof is tricky, though.

Comment

And you can still get a TL783 for a buck ninety two. If you know your load well, you can soak up excess power in a power resistor in the input path (and a shunt C).

Comment

Good point, Mike.

Any time there is a large voltage difference between an input and an output voltage in a regulator, if you know the load well you can calculate a resistance that eats up the power dissipation resulting from the maximum load, leaving only the dissipation required between min and max loads to be carried in the regulator.

In digital signal circuits (and the BTDR-2 is one) this is easy as the power supply load tends to be reasonably constant. What makes this particular example tricky is the interaction between not knowing what power supply voltage (and hence power to be dumped) will be used, and the fact that it's mostly DIYers doing it. DIYers may have great skill with math and a soldering iron, or may be marginal in one or both. I'm always pondering how to cover both of those.

Comment

Actually, the most straightforward way to handle this for tube amps might be to take an AC-input wall wart that makes perhaps 9Vdc as an output, and hook that through a dropping resistor and shunt zener to the DC b+ in the amp.

Many wall warts are "universal line voltage" these days, accepting 100 through 240Vac as inputs, and still providing their rated output. 240Vac rectified is about 340Vdc, so one could use a resistor-zener to drop the 400-500Vdc that's common in guitar amps down to under 340dc, and run that into the wall wart.

The wall wart contains an EMC line filter, then a full wave bridge rectifier; it will accept the DC and work on it, producing the desired DC out. This has the advantage of working natively with the high DC in the amp and using very little power to make the low DC voltage. A linear regulator after the switcher DC will clean up any noise for the linear parts used, and make 5V dc for the reverb module.

This approach has the advantage that the wart hooks to B+ DC and doesn't need connection to the AC power line, which is safer for amateurs.

Or, conceptually more simple, just hook the switcher to the incoming AC line.

Comment

That seems simplest. I've seen wall warts glooped inside chassis with wires from incoming AC soldered straight to the blades.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                        X