series/parallel wattage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• series/parallel wattage question

I find conflicting answers on this elsewhere. Will two 8 ohm 100 watt resistors connected in series equal 16 ohms at 200 watts?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

My feeling is that there is no free lunch.

A resistor that is able to dissipate 100 watts safely is what it is.
    a 100 watt resistor.

There is nothing that will allow it to disspate 200 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
      I find conflicting answers on this elsewhere. Will two 8 ohm 100 watt resistors connected in series equal 16 ohms at 200 watts?

Yes. Two 8 ohm/100W resistors connected in series comprise the equivalent of one 16 ohm/200W resistor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        My feeling is that there is no free lunch. A resistor that is able to dissipate 100 watts safely is what it is.
        a 100 watt resistor. There is nothing that will allow it to disspate 200 watts.
        I thought so for a moment too & then I remembered to do my math. There is a voltage drop across the middle of this new "16 ohm resistor." Each half of the "16 ohm resistor" does its 8 ohms and each half dissipates its 100 watts. Ohm's law, or Kirchoff's, or somebody's law at any rate.

It would be pretty much the same (minus some mangling of ceramic, wire, metal cladding, etc.) as taking a "real" 16 ohm, 200 watt resistor, and chopping it in half to get two 8 ohm, 100 watt resistors which you then put back in series.
        Last edited by Usable Thought; 12-13-2015, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Exactly. either resistor will not turn into a 200 watter, but the pair of them will do 100W apiece, so 200w total.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

...as long as they're not close side by side. Power resistor dissipation is rated in "free air," which implies it's not receiving heat from external sources (i.e., the other resistor). End to end connection in line would be best.

Comment

Originally posted by mhuss View Post
              ...as long as they're not close side by side. Power resistor dissipation is rated in "free air," which implies it's not receiving heat from external sources (i.e., the other resistor). End to end connection in line would be best.
              ...except aluminium housed resistors which are rated mounted on a standard heatsink. less than a half or even less without a proper heatsink in normal ambient temperature
              Last edited by catalin gramada; 12-14-2015, 11:49 PM.
              "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Working...
              X